Monday, May 27, 2013

May 27 – “Remember”

Well, it’s Memorial Day again.  Means a lot of things to a lot of people.  The fire fighters will be out collecting money for muscular dystrophy in their fill the boot campaign.  Barbeque pits will be fired up and cooking will begin on the ribs or burgers or steaks or redfish or whatever you happen to have in your freezer.  Families will make efforts to get together.  Friends will gather.  For some it means working in the yard in the never-ending effort to get those evil-demon-devil weeds under control, or maybe just to get the grass mowed. 

Here in Galveston the beaches are literally swarming with tourists, basking in the gorgeous weather and splashing amongst the seaweed.  Schlitterbahn is packed.  Moody Gardens is doing a bang-up business.  I’m sure the Strand is hopping as well, but I don’t intend to go out there and see.  And the traffic.  I heard that on Saturday traffic was backed up almost 20 miles coming into town and trying to exit at 61st Street.  I went to the Jamaica Beach Park fund raiser that night, and when I left to come home, the seawall was bumper to bumper going east bound.  Glad I knew the back way or I might still be in line.  WalMart is really hopping.  Can’t beat being the only game in town as far as they are concerned. 

All that beach traffic inevitably leads to tales of strong currents and lost lives.  We have already had three lost this weekend at San Luis Pass.  Kudos to the organizations that work together in those situations: Galveston Fire and Rescue, Jamaica Beach Volunteer Fire Department, Galveston Beach Patrol, Galveston County Sheriff Department, Galveston Police Department, the Coast Guard, volunteers who just happened to be nearby and who cared.  I haven’t heard of any fires yet, but this is certainly a weekend to be careful. 

Busy, busy, busy.  So much to get in on a big holiday weekend.  Gotta make the most of the short amount of time you have before it’s back to the old grind tomorrow.  I get it.  And I do appreciate those of you who are spending your time and money here on Galveston Island.  But could you take just a moment or two out of that wild and crazy fun?  Could you stop and take one or two deep breaths?  Could you then do what the name of the day implies?  Memorial Day … remember.  Maybe you don’t have any direct connection with anyone in the military.  That’s OK.  But I bet your parents did.  Or your grandparents before them.  My GrandDad served in World War I.  Remember.  My Dad served in World War II.  Remember.  Chris’ Dad served in the Korean War.  Remember.  I had friends who served in Vietnam.  Remember.  It was friends of my children who served in Iraq.  Remember.  One of my best friends is right now an army chaplain.  Remember.  And when you remember, breathe a prayer of thanks to God that those heroes responded to a call to arms. 

Psalms 91:15-16 says, “He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him.  With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.”

Father God, thank you for those who have served and are still active in our military.  Give comfort to the families of those who were killed.  Give peace to those who struggle mentally, emotionally and spiritually.  Give protection, diligence, endurance, and strength to those who remain active in service.  Draw them close to you so that they may receive your deliverance and honor.  In Jesus’ name.  Amen.

No comments: