Friday, November 9, 2012

November 9 – “On brothers and X-files and future suitors”


Happy birthday to my younger, but taller and in much better shape and way better equipped to beat up potential muggers brother.  I don’t remember much about our growing up time together, but I do seem to recall our mutual older sibling and his cronies telling you often to “Go tell Mommy she wants you.”  It’s not so much that you were gullible enough as a little tyke to fall for it every time.  What I actually remember is that I was the one who usually got in trouble for doing it.  But then, I was just the middle child, a convenient scapegoat for just about anything.  And you know I would never have done anything like that anyway, right? 

We have been watching old episodes of The X-files on Netflix.  Good old Mulder and Skully.  Never did get into that show back when it was the hottest thing around.  After watching it through from the beginning I can see that it’s one of those you have to have seen all along to understand some of the references that come up.  Like the cigarette smoking man shooting President Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr. and covering up all those alien sightings.  Thinking ahead, though, we are somewhere in season three or four, and I have heard that there is a full length movie that came out at the end of one of the seasons.  I’ve also heard that it continues the story line, so it is a must-see event to get the full picture.  OK.  So how do I get hold of that X-files movie?  I checked at WalMart a few times and they haven’t had it.  Guess I may be forced to do the Amazon thing.  Does anybody have a copy of it they can loan us when the time comes? 

Guess I should toss in one Cailyn comment for the day.  In one of our deep and engrossing Granddad to Granddaughter, heart to heart talks, she shared this bit of revealing relationship information.  “DadDad, see,” (I know.  Where did that come from?  She is three and not fourteen, isn’t she?) “I love Yoda.  He’s my best friend.  He’s so cute.”  And there it is.  The short, old, ugly dude gets the gorgeous girl.  Come on, all he can do is raise a spaceship out of the swamp with one hand and never get wet.  Oh, and attack like a super gnat with a light saber.  That’s a lot to live up to, future suitors.  But then, maybe that’s what her Daddy had in mind all along …

Psalms 37:11 says, “But the meek will inherit the land and enjoy great peace.”

Father, grant my baby brother a great day today.  Amen.

 

No comments: