Friday, November 23, 2012

November 23 – “Pause it for a minute”


We had a house guest most of the day yesterday.  A little girl from church spent the day with us while her Mom started work at a new job.  Kiara is a very sweet kid, almost exactly the same age as Cailyn.  Chris had pretty much completed all her preparations for the Thanksgiving meal, which wasn’t scheduled to take place until the evening this year.  Well, that would be part one of the feast.  The rest of it will occur when everybody comes back and Kel and Christina and their boys come down as well.  We are doing an experiment to get a sense of what it was like to have one of those week-long feasts like we have been studying about in the Old Testament. 

At one point Kiara overheard Chris talking about deviled eggs.  I don’t know exactly what the context of the conversation was up to then, but I did hear this much:

Kiara: “The Baptist church has deviled eggs.” (We had just had dinner on the grounds the previous Sunday, and sure enough, someone had brought deviled eggs).

Chris: “You had some deviled eggs at church?”

Kiara: “The Baptist church has deviled eggs.” (Emphasis hers, not mine).

I guess churches of the myriad of other denominations she is apparently familiar with only have angel eggs.  Oh, well.  I like the deviled ones.

Speaking of three-year-old girls, Cailyn talked her Aunt Christi into playing a game of Twister with her.  April conveniently volunteered to be the spinner, so she sneakily avoided actually playing the game.  And Christi proved to be quite adept at all the twists and turns.  That game ended when Cailyn literally turned a somersault trying to get her right foot over to a green circle.  We all cheered the maneuver and Christi graciously congratulated her worthy opponent.  We thought the gaming had ended, but Cailyn had other ideas.  She scanned the crowd and her eyes stopped on … me.  “Come on, DadDad.  Take off your shoes.”  Well, a challenge from a grandchild … how could I turn that down?  It did take me a few minutes to unstrap my sandals and wriggle my toes out of their grasp.  And I guess I took too long.  Cailyn dropped the spinner onto the playing surface and announced, “That’s OK, DadDad, I’m gonna pause it for a minute.”  Pause it for a minute.  Ah, the joys of living in the Age of Technology.

Psalms 40:8 says, “I desire to do your will, O my God; your law is within my heart.”

Father, may the desire to do your will be the heart cry of all our children and grandchildren.  Amen.

No comments: