Saturday, November 24, 2012

November 24 – “According to the barections”


Thursday afternoon after the table was cleared and the dishes were done, all the girls (including Cailyn) spread out the sales circulars on the table and began to map out a strategy for a Black Friday attack.  Chris has never been one for the craziness, but she sure enjoys pitching right in with the plans and the lists.  It does give us some ideas for Christmas presents, after all.  I wouldn’t mind doing some people watching in the midst of all the madness, if it only happened at an hour when I could stay awake.  Nathan was at work, but April let Cailyn stay up late and they went to WalMart and Target.  That was just a reconnaissance mission, though, because they went back on Friday morning with Daddy.  Nathan sent us a text at one point showing Cailyn holding her newest love (well, the newest one that isn’t a small live furry creature).  This one was a stuffed Yoda doll.  Brought back memories for me of the time she told me “I love ‘oda.  He’s so cute.”  Josh and Christi waited until their boys were asleep.  They headed out at 10:35.  Now that’s well past my bedtime, so I don’t know if their venture was successful or not.  I do know when I roused around 1 or 1:30 they were just returning.  I didn’t hear whether Christina got to go out or not.  I’m pretty sure Kel wasn’t interested in such an adventure.  The girls had one other shopping escapade.  On Friday afternoon they went over to the Moody Gardens craft fair.  At least we thought it was a craft fair.  It turned out to be just a bunch of merchants hawking their wares.  They were gone an awfully long time, and I did see some bags when they returned, so there were purchases made.  Chris said she saw some things, but it just felt wrong actually buying something without me being there.  Christmas shopping is one of the things we really enjoy doing together.  Guess since one of us has to hang out with Mom, that won’t happen this year.  Ah, well.  New challenges.

It’s been fun watching the different styles of play among all the kids now that they are a little older.  I got a kick out of Caleb in particular this year.  He and his brother Zak are all about building things out of Legos.  In fact Zak is amazingly creative in the different things he has been able to engineer and bring into existence.  Caleb, however, has taken a different tack.  He has been bringing individual pieces over to me or to his Dad and has asked, “Is this the right way to do thin one?”  He wants everything to be put together according to the “barections.”  Forget all that creativity stuff.

Job 38:4-7 says, “Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation?  Tell me, if you understand.  Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!   Who stretched a measuring line across it?  On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone— while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?”

Father, thank you for being the “Barections Writer.”  Amen.

No comments: