Monday, November 5, 2012

November 5 – “My political statement”


I had one of those experiences yesterday where I was right in the middle of preaching and I suddenly realized something really cool that God was speaking to me about.  It’s always fun when that happens, because I get very excited about it.  And trying to incorporate the new insight into what I’m already teaching can be a real challenge.  I was talking about the prayer of Nehemiah in the first chapter when it hit me that the  reason the Bible pray-ers always “reminded” God of what he had done in the past was that God has initiated a “perspective of faithfulness.”  He promised and then he kept his promise.  He is faithful.  We can trust him.  So when we crawl inside that corral of faithfulness, when we pray out of that perspective – being aware enough of the Word of God to know what he has promised and followed through on in the past – we are not requesting something new.  We are simply operating within what is already God’s will and praying “thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven.”  Sounds kind of Jesus-y, doesn’t it?

I also made my political statement for the year.  Ready for it?  Proverbs 21:1 says, “The king's heart is in the hand of the Lord; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.”  There it is, folks.  Do what you can do – vote.  Then pray for whoever wins, even if it’s the “other” guy, because God holds his heart and can use him to fulfill his purposes. 

Father, keep folks safe at the polls tomorrow, and hold whoever wins tightly in your grasp.  Amen.

 

No comments: