Thursday, November 15, 2012

November 15 – “On linguistics and zoology”


We made a quick trip to San Antonio and managed to get some updates on the life and times of a six-year-old and a three-soon-to-be-four year old.  First, in the area of language development …

We found out that Caleb has heard a new word and is in the process of incorporating it into his everyday vocabulary: boring.  That means he inserts it into the conversation every chance he gets to hear how it sounds coming off his tongue.  Best example so far:  “It’s boring for grandparents to only stay two nights.  They have to stay three nights.”  I agree with the sentiment.  So does Zak,apparently.  He invited us to stay for a whole week.

Another key tool one must become adept at controlling is the use of linguistic humor.  The latest family game on the San Antonio front involves those time-honored tools of the twinkle-tongued: riddles.  Just two examples here.   Zakary is quite realistic in his development of the art form.  As we returned from a baseball practice, he offered: “What is round and metal and surrounded by black?”  Wanting to appear as the all-knowing and ultimately wise patriarch, I offered a reply: “The frightening metallic eye of an invading alien machine monster.”  Not quite correct.  Well, not even close.  Josh (Mr. Dad can do anything) did get it right, though.  A hubcap.  Way too simple for me.  Caleb’s offering stumped us all, though: “What if there were two moons and neither one was a circle?”  I still don’t know the answer to that one.  He left us hanging to ponder he possibilities.

Animal husbandry came up when Caleb and I were having a discussion.  We started by talking about the menagerie now residing at the home of his cousin Cailyn – two dogs, a guinea pig, a ferret.  He didn’t know what a ferret was, so I told him it was a long skinny rat.  That he could picture.  He also knew what an otter was when I indicated my favorite animal.  Then I asked what his favorite animal was.  What animal would he most like to have as a pet?  The answer was … interesting.  He immediately came up with four creatures: dolphins, bears, aminos, and rats.  I began my response before I completely processed the what he had said:  “I like dolphins, too.  They are … wait.  What’s an amino?  I’ve never seen one of those.”  Zak heard the discussion and between the two of them I was able to put together these characteristics: “It goes ‘aak’ once a week.”  OK.  I think I can handle that as long as I know it’s coming.  “It flaps his wings two times a week.”  Wings.  I got that.  Wonder if it flies or just flaps?  “It eats people’s bottoms.”  Well, I did mention they were two boys, didn’t I?  “We live far away from them but they live near you.”  Now that was frightening.  I have to live my life worrying about when the next amino will swoop down and flap his wings at me, crying “Aak.” 

I’ll share other insights in the areas of engineering, recreation, and culinary arts on another occasion.  Everyone is waking up now.  I have to get ready to take notes.

Psalms 37:34 says, “Wait for the Lord and keep his way.  He will exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off, you will see it.”

Father, thank you for the chance to learn new things.  Amen.

No comments: