Sunday, September 30, 2012

September 30 – “Brown suspenders”


We had a visit yesterday from the entire Kel Family.  Well, I guess that would be the Vaughan Family if you want to get technical.  Jachin and Micah’s football games had been rained out, so they decided to make a trip to the library here in town.  It was around lunchtime, so they stuck around for some sandwiches. 

Then while they were here we had a visit from the Vaughan Family.  OK.  Wait a minute.  I knew there was a reason I started the way I did.  This time it was Nathan and April and Cailyn.  Cailyn was coming over to take an afternoon nap with us while her Mom and Dad went on a search for some brown suspenders.  Nathan is going to be in a wedding, and that’s one of the required groomsman garb items.  Better than renting a full tuxedo, I guess.  Except that they haven’t been able to find any brown suspenders anywhere.  They have tried all the usual places: J.C. Penney, Men’s Warehouse, all those clothing-type stores.  He even called all the tuxedo rental places he could think of.  They just had the kind with buttonholes that required the pants to have built-in buttons rather than the alligator teeth that could grab anything and hang on.  And what stock of that button kind they did have did not come in brown.  I used to have a pair of suspenders.  They weren’t brown, though.  As I recall they were kind of green.  Lime green.  With bright yellow highlights.  Sadly, they were flooded away with Hurricane Ike.

Several places told them that an army-navy surplus store might have some, so they were going to check out Colonel Bubie’s on the Strand.  I’m not sure why a military surplus store would have suspenders.  Is that required fare for soldiers these days?  I don’t think they found any, so if anyone out there has brown suspenders, let me know.  Nathan would like to borrow them. 

Come to think of it, I’m the officiant for that wedding, but they didn’t say I had to have brown suspenders.  They did say I didn’t have to wear a suit and tie, though.  Maybe I could surprise everybody and show up with brown suspenders, too.  Let’s see.  I have a brown magic marker and a white shirt, though.  Maybe we could work something out.

Psalms 33:4-5 says, “For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does.  The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love.”

Father, thanks for that love we can count on.  Help Nathan find what he needs for that wedding, and take care of his other needs as well.  Amen.

No comments: