Tuesday, September 25, 2012

September 25 – “Fresh from the sea”


I went fishing for a while yesterday.  Same old spot in front of WalMart.  I’m trying to get in a few trips before it gets too cold to wade fish.  It was kind of rough, but I managed to find a spot on the deep side of the first sandbar that was mainly swells rather than breakers.  The water was cool and very clear.  The results?  I did catch three or four good specks.  A boatload of little whiting.  Kept some of them for what we affectionately call whiting Mcnuggets.  They are pretty good fried.  After I ran out of shrimp I cut up one of the whiting hoping to catch a few larger ones.  They are known to be cannibals, feeding on the flesh of their fallen brothers.  The first cast proved to be a good one, too.  But it wasn’t a bigger whiting on the end of the line.  It was a nice slot redfish.  I tried for a few more, but finally had to call it a day when a wave hit just as I was casting.  The resulting backlash proved more than I could deal with and dodge waves at the same time, so I came on home.  Chris smothered the redfish in barbeque sauce and baked it up for supper.  Nathan and Cailyn even joined us.  Nothing quite like it. 

A friend of Nathan’s who does work on swimming pools came by to take a look at our hot tub.  We haven’t even attempted to repair it since it floated around the yard during Hurricane Ike’s flooding.  It has been way down on our priority list.  Not that it has suddenly catapulted to the top.  We are just trying to get an idea of how much we are talking about to get it fixed.  Sounds like the first step is getting an electrician out to run a wire to the breaker box.  Everything at the box is supposed to be ready to go.  He is going to try to get some prices on parts and let us know what he finds out.  It really sounded to me like he didn’t do much spa work.  He was definitely a full size pool guy.  I do appreciate him coming, though.  It’ll be helpful to know how much we need to save up for. 

Psalms 31:23-24 says, “Love the Lord, all his saints!  The Lord preserves the faithful, but the proud he pays back in full.  Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.”

Father, help me keep my focus, my hope, on you where it belongs.  Amen.

No comments: