Monday, September 10, 2012

September 10 – “Romantic?”


Josh and his family showed up at church yesterday.  Well, we knew they were thinking about coming.  They had been spending the weekend with some friends at a beach house in Surfside, and since Seaside was only twenty minutes away, they decided to stop in on the old grandparents.  Actually they were going into Galveston anyway for some lunch and a trip to Murdoch’s souvenir shop, so it wasn’t out of their way.

It was great to see them.  Kind of frustrating, though, to have the church responsibilities and not be able to just hang out with them.  But it was so good to look over and see their faces.  Of course Caleb didn’t let a little thing like church propriety stand in the way of DadDad time.  He came over and talked with me during several of the songs.  And that talk was random, if nothing else.  The thing he appeared most excited to tell me involved bombs.  Yes, bombs.  Here it is:

“DadDad, did you know bombs go, beep, beep, beep (speeding up) beepbeepbeep.  And then they go Boom?”  The “Boom” was even somewhat subdued in volume for a three year old.  But he didn’t stop there. 

“Oh, and DadDad, volcanoes go Boom, too.”  That was one I would like to have followed up on, but I had to start the sermon about that time.  My guess is Zakary studied volcanoes in one of his home school lessons and Caleb was paying close attention. 

After church we were presented with Grandparents Day cards.  Actually they were Grandparents Day creations.  Zak and Caleb had each drawn pictures – one for me and one for Chris.  Zak’s to Chris showed Nani serving muffins and Zakary at the table ready to eat them, saying, “Yummy muffins.”  His creation to me was rather intricate.  It recalled their last visit here when we took a ferry ride.  The caption read (Christi always adds what they said to describe the picture), “Feeding seagulls pancakes off of DadDad’s head on the ferry boat.”  Yes, we really did that.  The picture was amazing, too.  There I was with a pancake on my head.  Two gigantic seagulls were swooping down at me.  Frightening.  Out in the water some dolphins were playing, while Caleb and Mommy watched from a safe distance … inside.  Caleb’s picture to me was kind of funny.  The caption was, “A Silly DadDad goose.”  Now hay he would call me that, I can’t imagine.  Chris was there, too.  She was standing on her head.  Hmm.  The picture he did for Chris really took the cake, though.  There was Chris and I, holding hands.  Very romantic.  Standing nearby was a figure designated “Camera man.”  Interesting.  The caption definitely got a reaction from all who read it.  Christi said he was insistent about it, so there was no mistake.  Ready for this one?  “Nani and DadDad holding each other’s bodies and kissing on their wedding day.”  Told you it was romantic.

Psalms 28:7 says, “The Lord is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and I am helped.  My heart leaps for joy and I will give thanks to him in song.”

Father, if I could sing I would make up a song about those grandkids you blessed us with.  Thank you.  Amen.

1 comment:

Karen Smith said...

Now thats awesome! I can't wait for grandkids!:D