Wednesday, September 19, 2012

“Prophet, priest, king, ???”


Yesterday was a good day.  I got off to a great start on the teaching for Sunday.  Of course whether that’s good or not won’t be determined until, well, Sunday.  But at least I’ll go into it with some good notes and a sense of direction.  That always is helpful. 

We received a phone call yesterday that added to the “good day” feel.  We were getting ready to eat supper when my cell phone rang.  I answered and after a long pause, here is what I heard:

Jachin: “This is Jachin.  Me and Micah have something to tell you.” <Giggle, giggle>

Me:  “OK.  What do you have to tell me?”

Jachin: “Mom”

Micah: “has”

Jachin: “a”

Micah: “burp”

Me: “Mom has a what?  Say that again.”

Jachin: > “Mom”

Micah: “Has”

Jachin: “a”

Micah: “burp” <out of control giggling>

We tried our best to get them to calm down and repeat it one more time, but all hope of control was out the window.  Fortunately, we do check our Facebook page every so often (and we received an email about an hour and a half before the FaceBook post went up).  So we already knew about their Mom’s “burp.”  Sometime in April of next year they will be meeting their new little brother or sister.  So Micah the prophet, and Jachin the priest, and Josiah the king will be introduced to … hmm.  I guess they will have to move into the New Testament.  Chris pointed out that “Apostle” was still an opening.  Uncle Josh and I came up with a south-of-the-border suggestion (pronounce it hay-soos), but that would effectively put an end to this particular line of progression.  How could you top that?  Apparently Jachin and Micah are thinking along a different corridor entirely.  They came up with Luke for a boy.  I know.  How do you characterize that one?  Gentile?  Physician?  Historian?  You are thinking inside the box.  Let me help you a bit here.  I think you will understand better when I tell you their suggestion for a girl’s name … Leia.  Now do you get it?  Prophet, priest, king, and … Jedi Warrior.  That’ll work.

Psalms 31:5 says, “Into your hands I commit my spirit; redeem me, O Lord, the God of truth.”

Father, into your hands we commit the spirit of this new little one.  Amen.

No comments: