Wednesday, March 7, 2012

March 7 – “Imaginary friends, pretending, and just kidding around”

 
 
Today I search for my church keys.  Yesterday I guess Cailyn found the perfect place to store them so they wouldn't get lost.  Only she can't remember where that spot is now.  We searched the whole house top to bottom and haven't found them yet. 
 
I can't keep up.  Cailyn introduced me to a new imaginary friend the other day.  We were sitting on the floor in the kitchen for some reason.  Could have been anything from taking a break after an outside walk to hiding out from the myriads of monsters that apparently frequent our abode.  I don't remember.  But suddenly she sat up straight with a look of surprise in her eyes and pointed over my shoulder toward the refrigerator.  As I began my turn to follow her gaze she remarked, "There is Terry.  Terry is over there."  I completed my turn, and as expected, I saw nothing.  I asked where this Terry was, so she pointed again with a grin, "Right over there, DadDad.  It's Terry."  I looked again, harder this time.  Still not seeing anything, I queried, "Oh, do you mean the one hiding behind the doors inside the 'frigerator?"  "That's it, DadDad.  That's Terry."  Ah.  I had forgotten to use my x-ray vision.  How negligent of me.  I did want some more information, though, so I asked if Terry was a boy or a girl.  I mean, after all, she had played with Boy for a while.  Not such a good question in this instance, however.  She got that "I'll answer you but you should know the answer already" look on her face.  She did reveal that Terry was in fact a girl.  I think Terry was happy to stay indoors.  In refrigerator doors.  We never saw her again.
 
Then Cailyn got started on her use of the word "Pretend."  Any time she asked to do something that wasn't quite appropriate for the situation, and she was told she couldn't do it right then, she responded with something along the lines of, "OK.  Then I will just pretend to do it."  And pretend she did, miming all the appropriate movements.  She pretended to play with Nani's breakable "pretties."  She pretended to jump on the bed.  She pretended to jump off the counter.  All that pretending sure made me tired.
 
She followed that up with an array of uses for the phrase, "I just kidding."  You can imagine where that went.  "I gonna eat some candy right now," she offered.  My rebuttal: "Not right now Cailyn.  You can have some after dinner."  Reply: "I just kidding."  The she tried: "I gonna jump on the bed right now."  That only required a look of disapproval before she hastened to add, "I just kidding." It wouldn't have been nearly as stressful, but she actually geared up like she was on the verge of carrying out the activity before she announced her intentions.  She certainly knows how to sell it to her dear old DadDad.
 
Hebrews 3:3-6 says, "Jesus has been found worthy of greater honor than Moses, just as the builder of a house has greater honor than the house itself.  For every house is built by someone, but God is the builder of everything.  Moses was faithful as a servant in all God's house, testifying to what would be said in the future.  But Christ is faithful as a son over God's house. And we are his house, if we hold on to our courage and the hope of which we boast.
 
Father, it would really be an inconvenience to have to get new keys made.  I'm happy to make that happen, but finding those others would be great, too.  Amen.

No comments: