Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 6 – “Interloper”

 
 
I mowed the grass the other day.  Not such a big deal, but it led directly to a pretty funny incident that I sure wish I could have been there to see.  After I finished mowing the front and back yards, I got the edger out of the garage and trimmed up the sidewalks and around the trees.  I got pretty tired, though, so I never got around to finishing the back yard.  I pushed the mower into the garage, plopped the Weedeater into its place, shut the door and went on in to take a shower.  All sounds pretty run-of-the-mill, doesn't it?  The fun didn't start until the next day. 
 
The next afternoon Chris went from the house into the garage looking for a box for some reason or another.  Of course whenever anyone goes in there, Fritz, our mixed breed Boston Terrier-Spitz combination, is an ever-present companion.  The two flipped on the light and stepped into the open space.  And almost immediately Chris felt something rub against her leg.  Now Chris has a carefully thought out plan for reacting when something like that happens.  She stifled a scream and jumped backwards as fast as she could get her legs to react.  Fritz apparently has the same strategy.  As the two of them backpedaled toward the door, Chris hastily scanned the floor for evidence of an interloper.  And there it was.  The neighborhood black cat that comes over for visits all the time had sauntered in through the wide open door the day before while I was mowing.  Not knowing we had an extra occupant, I simply hit the close button and trapped it inside.  The creature had been in our garage all night and half of the next day.  Don't know what it might have had for breakfast.  Maybe it scoured the place for hidden mice.  Hope so.  At least then it would be making itself useful.
 
Since Chris had continued her backward momentum, she came into the office and let me know we had an intruder.  Doing my best not to allow myself to be overwhelmed with mirth, I assured her we would get it out.  Sure enough, as the door opened, a dark streak raced past us and disappeared under the car.  As for our fearless watchdog, I think he is still recovering from the horrifying trauma.
 
Hebrews 3:1 says, "Therefore, holy brothers, who share in the heavenly calling, fix your thoughts on Jesus, the apostle and high priest whom we confess."
 
Father, once again I thank you for lighthearted moments in the midst of dark times.  Please keep Chris' focus on you as she deals with the stresses of post-funeral family absurdity.  Amen.

No comments: