Wednesday, March 21, 2012

March 21 – “Another boring day”

 
 
I heard back from the rheumatologist's office yesterday.  They are finally turning my case over to a group they have connections with.  Not for my ongoing care or anything.  This group's specialty is dealing with insurance companies, trying to convince them to pay for medications that actually work on patients, rather than refusing to pay because the particular one that works doesn't have a generic alternative version.  Rather a specific company purpose statement, but it shows how prevalent the problem must be.  The nurse told me the process could take as long as 90 days.  That's how long the insurance company has to respond to the request.  But usually they do a song and dance over a week or two (letters and phone calls and trading information and blustering about misuse of medication and abuse of power) until the decision is made.  In the meantime I got another short-term supply of Celebrex samples to hold me over.  I really hope they work at least as well as they did last time I took them. 
 
We finished another step or two in our landscaping project.  The forecast called for lots of rain, so I wanted to get the Weed and Feed spread in the lawns.  If I got it down before the rain came, then we could save on watering the lawn.  That goal was successfully met.  Still no rain, so we moved on to a bigger task: filling in the hole under the deck stairs that the dogs dug to get a cool place to bask during the harsh Galveston summers.  We dumped in four bags of topsoil, mixed it with the dirt already in there, then began the tedious task of leveling it out.  That meant I had the joy of crawling under the stairs, lying on my back, and shoving dirt into place.  And not just dirt.  Once we had enough in place, we then added concrete pavers on top to discourage future canine excavation attempts.  Showed me once again just how my arm strength has deteriorated due to the joint pain in my elbows (of course aging has nothing to do with it).  We got the offending abyss filled in, but there was just not enough dirt to get the area level enough.  It needed three or four more bags of topsoil to accomplish that feat.  But by the time we reached that point the rain had begun, so we were forced inside. 
 
And come the rain did.  In buckets.  For most of the rest of the day.  Great for soaking in the Weed and Feed.  Not so great for the dip under the stairs.  That became a small lake.  It did drain fairly quickly when the rain stopped, but it proved the need for more dirt.  So don't check that one off the list just yet.
 
It just struck me how boring my days can seem.  It's not easy to wax philosophically about dirt and fertilizer.  Guess I could say something theological about God loves us in spite of the dirt in our lives.  Or maybe I could mention how the blessings God rains down on us can cause our weak little attempts to improve the world around us (Weed and Feed) to have dramatic effects in the lives of pre-believers and believers alike (The effect of weeds get weaker.  Good grass grows stronger).  I guess I could.  It is my blog, isn't it? 
 
Hebrews 13:7 says, "Remember your leaders, who spoke the word of God to you. Consider the outcome of their way of life and imitate their faith."
 
Father, thank you for the people who have shaped my God-story.  Amen.

No comments: