Monday, March 19, 2012

March 19 – “Defending the Island”

 
We heard back from our new accountant yesterday about our income taxes.  They need more information.  I sent the same amount of information I have been sending for years, and this is the first time it hasn't been enough.  A few of the things I can understand.  The IRS decided to change some things regarding mileage in the middle of the year last year, so they need me to break it down into six month segments.  OK.  That one I get.  But I also have to separate out every business expense by categories and indicate the dates I made quarterly payments.  Oh, and I had to report the total mileage on my car for the year.  Guess they want to make sure I did other things besides just work-related stuff.  Nice to know the government is concerned about my leisure time.
 
Yesterday I mentioned that we had grandchildren for two nights in a row.  The second night was Cailyn.  She apparently hadn't seen enough of us while her Mom was on Spring Break, so she harassed them enough until they let her come over for a visit.  With the weather clearing up and warming up we have been able to do more outside stuff with her.  The other day she took Nani on a walk.  She wore the brand new helmet we got her so she would have one here at our house.  That would be Cailyn, not Nani.  Just can't get Nani to wear one when she goes on a walk.  She better be careful.  I was working on the sermon, so they gave me a big goodbye and departed for regions unknown. 
 
As they made their way west on Sycamore, Cailyn occasionally turned toward the street and waved.  At one point she recognized someone in particular and called out a big "Hello" to Terry and Tony, those impish imaginary friends of hers.  When they arrived at the end of the street Chris texted me.  "We are at the beach." That one I recognized from one of my walks with Cailyn.  The last driveway on the block is an empty house, but it has an extra-wide driveway.  It is perfect for sunbathing and watching imaginary waves crash against the imaginary seawall.  I returned the text asking, "R U sunbathing?"  Her answer surprised me, but I guess it shouldn't have.  "No.  Fighting off pirates at the moment."  Ah, yes.  Galveston Island, of course.  We have had the nasty pirate infestation since Jean LaFitte.  During a lull in the action Cailyn returned to sunbathing, so Chris asked if she was ready to head home.  "Not yet," she answered.  Wearily, she took up her imaginary sword and fended off the pirates' last ditch efforts to invade the island.  After that final flurry Cailyn announced that she was ready now.  Like a true unsung hero, she contentedly crawled on her bike and headed back to the house.  Just another long day at the office, I guess.
 
Hebrews 13:1-2 says, "Keep on loving each other as brothers.  Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it."
 
Father, keep those angels coming.  Amen.

No comments: