Saturday, March 10, 2012

March 10 – “Cold or hot”

 
 
Another cold front blew in yesterday.  Blustery winds and cold rain.  Just a miserable kind of day.  Chris did get Mom to Libbie's Place, though.  I'm not sure how difficult it was this time.  I had a breakfast meeting with my good friend Clay.  When we picked her up in the afternoon Mom was complaining about how hot she was.  Now that was the first time in a very long time that she has even considered herself comfortable when she wasn't bundled up in bed under three or four blankets.  An unusual occurrence, so Chris asked why she was so hot.  She answered, "Because they made me put on all that stuff." 
Chris: "What stuff is that?"
Mom: (pointing to her sweater and then her gloves that she always wears) "This and these."
 
When we got home and got her settled on the couch, Chris helped her out of the excess clothing.  At which point she began moaning and groaning again.  She has also added a new twist.  She now alternates between moans and just-audible prayers, asking God to help her.  Last night she watched it rain for a while, then started praying, "God, make the rain stop."  Not sure why on that request.  It's kind of eerie to hear the prayers, but I'm glad she feels that she can pray and get comfort. 
 
So after a few rounds of groan-prayers, Chris asked her, "What's wrong?  You sure are moaning and groaning a lot."
She answered, "I'm just so cold."
Chris: "But you just told me you were hot."
Mom thought about that for a long minute before replying, "I was wrong."
That's my Mom.  Gotta love her.
 
Hebrews 4:12-13 says, "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.  Nothing in all creation is hidden from God's sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account."
 
Father, keep my Mom warm.  And cold.  And warm.  I guess she's a lot like me in the "can't seem to be able to figure out what I need from one minute to the next" department.  Give us what we need.  And we'll trust you to decide what that is.  Amen.

No comments: