Thursday, February 9, 2012

February 9 – “A dream”

 
 
Cailyn was over for a few hours yesterday while Nathan went over to the fire station to see about when he would get back into the swing of things at work.  He has a big month-long certification class coming up in Houston that he doesn't want to miss.  And I think he might be getting just a little bit stir crazy.  April was taking a nap, so we got to hang out with Cailyn. 
 
Now Chris had received a gift in the mail right before she arrived.  It was two little Precious Moments tea sets from her really good friend Olivia.  Very tiny pieces.  Very fragile.  The kind that look like they will break if you look at them wrong.  Chris set them up high on a shelf to protect them from tiny hands.  And guess what was the first thing Cailyn noticed when she walked through the door?  Yep.  She grinned at me and pointed directly at the tea sets and asked, "What's that?"  I stayed out of that one.  Chris obligingly pulled them down and the two of them sat on the floor behind me and had one of those proverbial tea parties I have always heard little girls like to have.  Very strange. 
 
After the tea party went on for a few minutes, Cailyn's eyes started noticeably drooping.  Nap time.  That meant I got to take a break from the work I was doing and read a few stories.  It didn't take her long to crash, though.  Me, too.  But I didn't stay out as long as she did, so I returned to the computer.  A few hours later when she woke up it became rapidly apparent that she had been dreaming.  Not a nightmare, mind you.  She called out for me like she usually does, but it was more of a dreamy, I-have-something-to-tell-you kind of a cry.  Sounded very interesting, so I headed back to her room. 
 
Sure enough, she had a story to tell.  She didn't preface it with the expected "I had a dream," though.  Instead she just started right in like it had just happened to her.  Much more exciting that way.
 
As her eyes focused sleepily on the princess book we had been reading before she drifted off, she announced, "I had a wedding, too.  At my wedding I was on the roof with Mommy and I was dancing and wearing a Cinderella dress with big sleeves 'cause it was brrr-y outside."  I tried to pry a few more details from her, but, hey, she's three years old.  That said it all as far as she was concerned.  Besides, she was already on to the next thing in life.  She wasn't sure what that next thing would be, but whatever it was, she was excited about it.  Wish I could consistently live with such a spirit of anticipation.
 
Ephesians 3:20-21 says, "Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
 
Father, help me to live as an anticipator of your inevitable invasions.  Amen.
 

No comments: