Sunday, February 26, 2012

February 26 – “The Benefit Update”

 
 
Happy birthday, Son Kel.
 
April sent us a text the other day with a photo of their first medical bill – the one where they say "this is what you owe, but don't pay yet because we are waiting for the insurance company to pay first."  The total came to well over $95,000.  On the "You may owe this much" line?  $1.57.  All right.  We can handle that much.  She was giddy.  "Think we can hold them to this?" she asked through stifled chuckles.  Sure, April.  Don't hold your breath until that happens.
 
Actually we will be able to handle a bit more than that dollar and a half.  And it's all because of some unbelievable friends and family.  The benefit for April went great yesterday in spite of the rain.  I haven't counted how many people came out, but I hope they all signed the guest book.  Marisa and Nicole and their Team April crew pulled off one of the most amazing expressions of love that I have ever seen outside of the bonds of blood within a family and the spiritual bonds within a church.  The Firefighter Union Hall was packed with people for most of the afternoon.  So many came that they actually ran out of chicken.  But Mario's on 61st Street responded with some of their great pasta to cover the rest of the plates. 
 
One of my favorite sights of the day was watching as Nathan mowed the grass before everyone started arriving.  He was desperate to do something.  He does not like to sit around and have things done for him.  So he arranged to borrow a friend's riding mower.  Now, the guy warned him that he had removed the throw guard.  "Not a problem," was Nathan's response.  He just wanted to get on board and get moving.  A few of us were standing by the back door watching him and laughing at the array of grass he had just sprayed onto a truck parked in the yard.  It hit me that his current course would place us right in the path of a similar spray event in the very near future, so a few of us quietly chose a different viewing position.  Sadly, a few didn't.  And as Nathan chugged past, the grass spewed.  It took those brave few who remained behind a few minutes to clear their clothing of all the green spatter pattern. 
 
The rain kind of hindered everyone's appreciation of the mechanical bull.  Apparently it's hard enough to stay on one of those when it's dry.  It must be impossible when it gets wet.  I did see Cailyn give it a go.  Held on the whole time.  What a cowgirl.  Rain didn't stop the kids form enjoying the bouncy house.  A steady stream of more than just water made its way inside to take a turn bouncing around.  Bay far, the most popular attraction outside was the dunking booth.
 
Mayoral candidate Beau Rawlins was the first one in the dunking booth.  Not long after his stint, Mayor Jaworski arrived and got dunked numerous times.  Later on Nathan agreed to sit in the tank, and a literal swarm of people flocked to the ticket booth for the chance to dunk him.  His nephews each took a shot at him.  April even stepped up for one throw.  Cailyn talked April's Mom into giving her a close up and personal chance.  She punched the target and sent him into the water.  Firefighters tried their hand.  As they were wrapping up, one of Nathan's buddies came up to me and asked why I hadn't tried my hand at dunking Nathan.  "My Dad would have already spent forty or fifty bucks at least for an opportunity to nail his son.  I know you want to get Nathan."  I tried to politely decline, of course, but when he returned with a strip of tickets and forced them into my hand, what could I do?  I couldn't let him waste all that money.  So I forced myself to give it a try.  I haven't thrown a ball since before Hurricane Ike nearly four years ago, except in the front yard with Jachin and Micah a time or two.  So it was truly a surprise to me when I discovered that you didn't really have to hit the actual target to make the thing work.  All it took was a well-placed toss just to the left and slightly above.  That's where the bar was located that operated the apparatus.  And that's what I hit.  And he did go under.  Not that it gave me any special sense of satisfaction or anything.  Oh, and did I mention that it was chilly outside yesterday?  Those guys must have been freezing.  Thanks for being such good sports. 
 
In spite of the rainy setbacks, people kept coming.  I understand that a girl who was in the youth group of the very first church I ever worked at (back when I was 18 years old.  What were they thinking?) showed up with a basket for the silent auction.  I was sorry I missed her.  I did get to see a guy I knew as kid back when we went to Grace Episcopal Church.  I saw church people and family and firefighters and friends of friends of friends.  The money raised was substantial – more than five thousand dollars.  But the expression of love was so much more valuable.  I don't think Nathan and April will soon forget it.  I sure won't. 
 
Matthew 22:37-40 says, "Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'  This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'   All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
 
Father, once again I thank you for surrounding our kids with people who love them.  Amen.

No comments: