Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 22 – “On the radio”

 
 
I had an interesting phone call yesterday.  Actually it started with a call from Cindy at the church.  We had a message on the answering machine there that I needed to return a call.  Not unusual and not a problem.  I made the call and, as often happens was told they would call me back.  Also not unusual.  We finally made contact later that afternoon.
 
The voice on the other end of the line was quite distinctive.  He could have been clearly successful in one of two occupations.  He would have been a great TV preacher.  By that I don't reference anything theological.  He just had that voice.  That voice that would boom from a pulpit.  That voice that would command a hearing.  That voice that would come across so clearly on the airwaves.  And speaking of airwaves, that's the other vocation that would suit him perfectly.  And as it turned out, he had indeed found his niche in the realm of … radio.
 
He was from KTRH, an AM radio station in Houston.  I knew it well, actually.  They are the ones who broadcast the Astros games during baseball season.  They have one of the two preset knobs on my truck.  The other one is for the Christian station.  And it's the station that plays on our bedside alarm clock.  Of course that one only goes off on Sunday mornings to make sure Chris is awake. 
 
So the guy explained that they had been informed of a benefit scheduled for this weekend for April Vaughan.  Somehow the connection was made with Seaside and me as pastor.  I guess even something like this requires a little investigative journalism.  They were interested in providing some positive news to kind of balance out all the usual negative stuff, so he wanted to know some things about the benefit.  I told his that would be no problem, and started telling him some of the details.  He quickly interrupted me and asked if it would be OK for him to tape the interview.  Wait.  Interview?  Guess I missed that part of the request for information.  It wasn't a problem, just unexpected.  He asked some key questions here and there to prompt me along, but we walked through the situation with April's health that led to the benefit, as well as the details of the benefit.  He even commented that the whole situation must have been tough for me as a Dad.  Insightful.
 
Well, as I was typing this I just heard the blurb on the radio.  Sounds like they run it just after the half hour on their news update.  Not much of the so-called interview made it, but at least they mentioned the benefit.  By the way, it's Saturday from 2 – 9 pm at the Firemen's Union Hall, 7401 Heard's Lane.  Barbeque chicken dinner, silent auction, mayoral candidates in the dunking booth, bouncy houses, mechanical bull.  Fun stuff.
 
Isaiah 65:20 says, "Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; he who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere youth; he who fails to reach  a hundred will be considered accursed."
 
Father, could you use this benefit in some way to bring glory to your name as well as help to Nathan and April?  Amen.

No comments: