Friday, February 10, 2012

February 10 – “The Grand Ball”

 
 
Yesterday was the day of the Grand Ball.  I should have expected it since this weekend begins Mardi Gras here in Galveston.  But this one had nothing to do with the parades and beads and floats on tap for the weekend.  In fact this one didn't take any outside preparation at all.  I didn't actually attend.  I just listened as it happened.  Cailyn and Chris were there, though.  It took place in our bedroom.  Sounded magnificent.  Wish I had been invited.  I might just have walked away from my computer for something like that.  I'm still holding out for the chance to dance with her at her wedding.  She told me the other day I could.
 
When the Grand Ball ended they started another game of some kind.  This one required a closet with the door closed, so I didn't hear as much from them about that one.  I did get a few scattered reports from Chris, though.  I know they took turns playing Angry Birds for a while.  Then Cailyn realized that it was actually quite dark, so she asked for a flashlight.  Chris indicated she didn't have one – I'm sure she checked her pockets first.  That didn't deter Cailyn, though.  She immediately remembered that good ol' DadDad had a flashlight ap on his cell phone.  So she excused herself with the command, "You wait right there, 'kay?  Don't move, 'kay?  Just stay right there."  Of course Chris modeled perfectly obedient behavior – always the teacher, you know.  I wondered what she was doing, though.  Shut in the dark closet all by herself, not at all sure that Cailyn would actually return.  Would she get side-tracked?  How long would Chris be able to stand in that small, dark, enclosed, full-of-coats-and vacuum cleaner, (did I mention small?) space?  This is the ultimate in claustrophobic wife of mine who has great difficulty succumbing to an MRI.  I considered delaying Cailyn for a minute or two to see if Chris would escape, but then I decided I really enjoy being married – and being alive – both of which would be in danger of ending had I caused even the slightest postponement.  So I turned over the iphone and she skipped merrily back to closeted confines.  I don't know how long they actually spent in the closet.  Cailyn did return later to ask for permission to use the actual flashlight that stays by my bedside.  That may have been a different game altogether, though.  Maybe they went back to the Ballroom and used it to light up the big disco ball for some retro-dancing.
 
Isaiah 60:18 says, "No longer will violence be heard in your land, nor ruin or destruction within your borders, but you will call your walls Salvation and your gates Praise."
 
Father, that will truly be a great day.  Amen.

No comments: