Monday, February 13, 2012

February 13 – “You’re not the only one”

 
 
I went to a meeting yesterday afternoon about the benefit the fire department family is planning for Nathan and April.  They have asked me to be in charge of the funds that come in to make sure it is "kept in the family."  Wow.  That's looking to be a big responsibility as this thing is coming together.  On the 25th starting at 2:00 over at the Firemen's Union Hall on Heard's Lane (7400 block, I think) they have some amazing things set up to happen.  There's going to be a dunking booth, and both of the key mayoral candidates for Galveston have agreed to take a turn.  That should be fun to watch.  Nathan has even agreed to sit on the block for a while.  There's also going to be a mechanical bull available to ride and bouncy houses for the kids.  Sure hope the weather is nice.  Inside there will be a big silent auction.  I say big because I heard some of the things that have already been donated: a deep sea fishing trip, a stay at the Victorian, tutoring by a schoolteacher, a Texas Rangers autographed baseball (that one looks promising), a Ben Crenshaw autographed plaque, numerous gift baskets, artwork, baby quilts, and the list went on and on.  Tickets are now on sale for the food.  For $10 you can get either a fish or chicken dinner.  And that food was all donated as well. 
 
Nathan was at the meeting and he was almost in tears.  His only words were, "We are overwhelmed."  I was pretty much stunned by the sheer volume of it all.  It was the first time I had seen an expression of love like that that wasn't initiated by a church.  And speaking of church, I was proud of Seaside. They contributed several hundred dollars back when April was still in the hospital that they really needed right away.  The afternoon made me recall another Cailyn-ism.  One day at the dinner table Chris and I told her that we love her.  Expecting the politically correct answer, we waited for a "Love you too," or something similar.  Not so with Cailyn.  There is little that is typical with her.  Her response came back, "I love Mommy and Daddy and DadDad and Nani and April and Nathan."  You're not the only one that loves them, Cailyn.  You're not the only one.
 
Isaiah 61:10 says, "I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God.  For he has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom adorns his head like a priest, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels."
 
Father, the love you show through the people around us makes delighting in you so easy.  Amen.

No comments: