Sunday, August 7, 2011

August 7 – “Not done yet”

 

We tried to do the streaming video of the big prayer day in Houston with Governor Perry.  Just a few of us came, but the streaming didn't work.  It would run for a few seconds and then just stop like it was buffering.  It always started back right where it left off, but Ned said, "At this rate they'll still be streaming tomorrow at 5."  We finally gave up on the streaming and prayed together for the nation.  I saw the last thirty or so minutes at home when I was finally able to get it on my computer.  Looked like it was an amazing event.

 

When I got home from the church, Chris and I left the house for an afternoon of errands we had to get done before the wedding last night.  We picked up my marryin' and buryin' suit from the cleaners first, and Chris said she wasn't feeling so hot.  We took her back home and I continued the errand run. 

 

I went to Home Depot first.  The bride and groom had suggested they needed some gift cards from there, and I also wanted to pick up an attachment for our air compressor so we can air up tires.  Done.

 

Next I went to Palais Royal.  It was the last day for a big sale they were having, and my Nike shoes were falling apart.  I found a pair easily enough.  My only concern is that they have leather across the toes.  Otherwise my toes eat their way through the top at an alarming rate.  The ones I chose were on sale.  I also had a coupon for 20% off.  Very nice discount.  Then I had a $10 gift certificate that the store sent me for my birthday.  The computer, however, didn't want to allow me to use the coupon and the gift certificate.  I couldn't understand the sales clerk.  She was from Russia and had a very thick accent.  She finally called a manager for help.  He did the same things she had done and came to the same conclusions.  "It will not let you use two coupons."  "But," I countered, pointing to the gift certificate, "That one is not a coupon.  It's a birthday present."  He chuckled condescendingly, but said nothing further.  He entered his all-powerful manager's code and instructed the computer to give me the $10 off.  In the end, I got a $50 pair of Nikes for $28.  Done.

 

My final stop was at Randalls.  All I needed there was two prescriptions.  How hard could it be?  One was ready - the one that they had to call the doctor's office for approval on.  The other one was a problem.  They weren't questioning the prescription.  They just almost out.  It's happened before.  They don't have enough to fill the whole thing, so they don't fill any of it.  Except at Randall's.  The pharmacist picked up the bottle, shook it near her ear, and said, "No, we only have about twenty right now.  I'll have the rest by Monday.  Let me give you a few to get you through until then."  I was impressed.  I told her she was really good at that shake and estimate thing.  Not completed, but done for the day.

 

In the meantime, back at the house, Chris was getting sicker and sicker.  She started throwing up and nothing she tried would stay down.  Obviously she missed the wedding, and I ended up sleeping on the couch so she could have free access to the bathroom.  She is still not feeling so well this morning.  That means I get to try to roust Mom out of bed and see if she wants to go to church with me.  Not done yet.

 

Proverbs 21:31 says, "The horse is made ready for the day of battle, but victory rests with the Lord."

 

Father, I'd rather have your victory than my plans working out.  Amen.

No comments: