Monday, August 15, 2011

August 15 – “Hero of the day”

 

I had a pretty good birthday yesterday.  My only request in my morning prayers was that the day be a peaceful one, relatively free from relationship strife, worries, and pain.

 

We got a facetime call from Josh and his boys Saturday evening, and Kel Facebooked me sometime Sunday morning to say Happy birthday.  My phone gonged all day long with best wishes from friends, mostly on Facebook. 

 

The praise team at church added an extra song.  They led us in Joy to the World, probably my favorite song ever, and certainly my favorite church song.  I found out later that they were going to have everybody sing Happy Birthday right after that, but I started talking too quickly.  Sorry guys.  Please feel free to stop me at any time.  There was an abundance of hugs and quite a few folks shared words of encouragement.

 

We had an interesting phenomenon occur during our time of encouragement.  As everyone was moving around, talking and hugging, all of a sudden the computer began playing music through the sound system.  Loudly.  Keith, the young guy who admirably performs the task of projecting the proper words to songs onto our screen, was sitting at the desk when it began.  He almost came out of his seat.  He didn't appear to touch anything before it began, either.  His eyes got as big as saucers and he held his hands in the air to assure us that "it wasn't me."  It definitely got everyone's attention, though.  It took Cory awhile to get it back under control, and he still isn't sure what happened.  Actually it was pretty funny stuff.

 

I used my phone as an ipod to play a song for one of the teaching topics.  We had some difficulty getting that to work as well.  We plugged it in but couldn't get any of the controls on the sound board to make it come through the speakers.  Once again Cory saved the day as he figured out that the phone's case was preventing the connector from making complete contact.  Simple adjustment and we were in business.  Guess that makes Cory officially the hero of the day.  Way to go, Cory.

 

Lunch at Casey's with Nathan and April and Cailyn was great.  And Cailyn came with us to her Great Uncle Jerry's house for a party he was having.  Lots of extended family was there, and they even sang Happy Birthday to me before we left for home.  I would say my one request for a peaceful day was granted.  Now if I can get in some fishing today, the birthday will be complete

 

Proverbs 22:6 says, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it."

 

Father, thank you for the peaceful day yesterday.  And thanks for the family you gifted me with and the friends you encourage me through.  Amen.

No comments: