Sunday, August 21, 2011

August 21 – “Happy birthday, Oralee”

 
My Mom turned 85 years old yesterday.  Way to hang in there, Mom.  
 
The beachfront has been amazing lately.  Fairly calm waters.  Almost clear.  Green.  Near perfect fishing conditions.  I had another chance to wade fish yesterday morning.  It was difficult to get started, though.  I woke up early enough, but my favorite bait shop on the island, Tucker's, didn't have any live shrimp.  In fact none of the bait shops seemed to have any live shrimp.  I ended up having to drive into Texas and buy some at Tiki Island.  I hate to go there.  They are very proud of their shrimp.  They cost about 30% more there.  But I really wanted to take advantage of the opportunity.  Most of the shrimp were big ones, too.  The kind that should be eaten on their own merit.  But I was going fishing.  And I wasn't disappointed.  Those big shrimp did their job.  Once again, every cast I either caught something or lost bait.  I didn't catch as many as last time, but they were certainly bigger.  Limited out on red fish.  That's three good meals right there.  Only caught seven or eight specs, but they were some hefty ones.  Can't wait for our next family fish fry.  
 
In the afternoon we had a family party for Mom.  It was actually to celebrate all three of our birthdays, since they are so close together.    Kel and Christina and their boys and Nathan and April and Cailyn all came over.  Chris did a big brisket, and we roasted some ears of corn on the grill.  Josiah had the cute kid moment of the day as far as I was concerned.  He came over the other day while I was cleaning the fish from the last trip.  It must have had an impact on him.  When he saw me, he immediately started signing and saying, "Fsshhh."  Even when they got into the car to leave and he looked back at me, there was the sign and that unique whooshing sound.  That's my boy.
 
Today promises to be another long one.  After church and dinner on the grounds and a meeting of our miscellaneous team, we are heading to San Antonio.  We won't be staying long; we're coming back Tuesday.  But we can't wait to see Josh and Christi and Zak and Caleb again. OK.  Not necessarily in that order.
 
Proverbs 23:17-18 says, "Do not let your heart envy sinners, but always be zealous for the fear of the Lord.  There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off."
 
Father, thanks for the 85 years you have given Mom so far.  Give her one of your hugs.  Amen.

No comments: