Monday, August 29, 2011

August 29 – “The inspirational Little Guys”

 
 
I love it when pour kids inspire us to new heights.  Sure, in a sense I'm talking about Nathan inspiring me to go fishing more.  Or Kel trying to convince me to get a Wii.  Or Josh encouraging me to keep Seaside going in the same direction and not give up.  But I'm also talking about the little guys.  And the little things. 
 
I can't remember the last time I was in a swimming pool.  But the prospect of hanging out with Caleb and Zakary drew me right in when we were in San Antonio last week.  I had leg cramps for two days after that, but it was worth it.  And during baseball season, all Jachin and Micah want to do is go outside and play baseball.  Honestly, there were some days when I was really hurting in the old joints – my rheumatiz was actin' up – but the prospect of pitching to Jachin, or watching Micah dress up in his very own catcher's gear proved too much to pass up.  And when Josiah walks into the house moving his little hand back and forth in the sign language for fish, how can anyone resist picking up the little dude?  Not to mention Cailyn's rapidly developing feminine wiles – a cock of the head, flashing her million dollar smile, and her three-syllable, Scarlett O'Hara version of "DadDa-yad."  I voluntarily curl myself around her little finger at that one.
 
It's not just our guys who are inspiring, though.  I heard about Colton up in Indiana.  He carries around a Minnie Mouse doll.  Now I've been married to Chris long enough to understand that it is perfectly fine – even greatly encouraged – for boys to have a doll.  But what impressed me is that he doesn't call her Minnie Mouse.  No.  That creature he carries around has a new name – Tootles.  Has a ring to it, doesn't it?  Tootles.  Something to do with a character on the new Mickey Mouse Club TV show.  But Tootles.  I like it, Colton.
 
My most recent favorite came from my little friend Brennan.  He brings his Mom and Dad to our Life Group on Thursdays.  Seems that every time they leave the house Brennan points to certain trees in the front yard, and wants to visit them.  His Dad would obediently take Brennan over to greet the trees and tell them goodbye.  Finally – and here's the inspirational part - Dad decided that since they were spending so much time with the trees each morning, they should have a name.  So he named them (hope I get these right) – Biff, Duff, Quentin, and Zorloff.  Now they have other trees in the yard, but they have no names, so that makes them strangers, and everyone knows you should stay away from strangers.  Great teaching opportunity.  Also creative way to cut down the extra time spent roaming around the front yard before work every day.  Kudos to Corey, but especially to Brennan. 
 
Keep on inspiring, young ones.  We need you.
 
Job 32:9 says, "It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who understand what is right."
 
Father, that is sure the truth.  Help me to keep on learning, especially from the little ones you place in my way.  Amen.

No comments: