Saturday, January 8, 2011

January 8 – “Bowl games”

 

I watched a few minutes of the Cotton Bowl last night.  It was the first bowl game I have seen any of this season.  At least I think they still call it the Cotton Bowl.  I wasn't paying enough attention during the breaks to see who the superstar sponsor is now.  And it was obvious the commercials weren't living up to the quality I have come to expect from the other football game I usually see parts of every year.  That's the one that they play in February.  It has commercials so good that we have a party and invite people over just to watch them. 

 

Anyway, back to the names.  It just seems to me that some of the prestige is taken out of the whole experience when the name of the game is, well, silly.  I remember growing up and hearing about the Rose Bowl and the Cotton Bowl and the Orange Bowl and the Bluebonnet Bowl.  I remember the Fiesta Bowl beginning and thinking at first that it was a creative name.  But isn't it named after those fritos rivals?  And can't you just picture an old grandpa-type guy, holding his young grandson on his aged, banged up knee, and saying, "Yep, my boy.  I hurt my knee while sacking the quarterback on the last play of the game to save a victory"?  And the little one, in awe, asks, "Wow, GrandDad, what big game was that?"  And mustering up all the pride he can, the old dude responds, "Why, the Go Daddy Bowl, of course."  And the little man's reply?  A muffled snicker and, "Wow.  Say it again, GrandDad, please?"  Sure makes a good case for a playoff system in college football.

 

Obadiah 15 says, "The day of the Lord is near for all nations.  As you have done, it will be done to you; your deeds will return upon your own head."

 

Father, could you give Galveston a little more time to return to you?  Amen.


No comments: