Saturday, January 29, 2011

January 29 – “Retrieving storm stuff”

 

Here's the first update on the nerve pain medication cutback.  I may have to go back to the original dose.  When I got into bed I realized that the tops of my feet felt like they were sunburned.  At first I thought it was because it had been a long day or something.  But it slowly dawned on me that I was feeling that unusual, hard to describe sensation that is nerve pain at work.  I'll give it a few days to see if it continues.

 

I got a call from a friend we made two years ago after Hurricane Ike.  He and his wife were gracious enough to let us stay in a home they owned in Omega Bay just north of Galveston until our house could be repaired.  He wanted to donate some teacher desks and a conference table and chairs to Seaside Christian Academy if we want them.  I checked with our headmaster and he said they would be happy to have them.  He was especially happy about the conference table.  Next week I need to go look at them, then set up a time to pick them up.  

 

I went to a prayer and share time with two guys in the church.  It looks like that will develop into an accountability group for four men as well as a catalyst for growing a core group of folks committed to love, trust and truth.  I'm excited about it.  It's one more thing in a series of events that seem to be showing God really at work down here on Gilligan's Island.

 

After the meeting Chris met me for a burger and some tater tots.  Then we began pulling some of our "storm stuff" out of storage in a friend's garage.  We were able to come away with one pickup load and one carload.  But then had to find a place to put it until we can go through it again.  Three or four boxes ended up going straight into the attic.  There is not much room up there any more.  I'll probably have to crawl up there one day and rearrange things so more stuff can fit.  That seems to be a never-ending project, kind of like cleaning out the garage periodically.  Move everything out.  Sweep the floor.  Move everything back in a slightly different place than it was before.  Although that won't be so easy in the attic.  There you have to consider those places that aren't yet floored, and make sure the box adequately crosses beams so nothing falls through the floor.  Not to mention the fact that it all has to be done while on your back, trying not to fall through yourself.  Can't wait.

 

Psalms 33:13-15 says, "From heaven the Lord looks down and sees all mankind; from his dwelling place he watches all who live on earth — he who forms the hearts of all, who considers everything they do."

 

Father, thank you for being there when we have to teeter on attic beams and when we try to rearrange our lives on our own, never really changing anything.  Amen.


No comments: