Wednesday, January 19, 2011

January 19 – “The Green Hornet”

 

So yesterday was tax day because of that Washington, D.C. holiday.  All of our home insurances as well as one of our estimated tax payments were due this month.  We have already sent our stuff in, though. 

 

Back when we bought our house we were trying to get in under the gun and close in December.  Just didn't happen.  Now we have flood, homeowners, and windstorm insurances due on January 8.  Then estimated tax is due on the 15th (18th this year).  Then our property taxes are due on the 31st.  January is– how can I say this? – a depleted month.

 

Chris and I actually had a date yesterday.  We went to one of the matinee showings of The Green Hornet here in Galveston.  We probably should have gone to the theater in Texas City.  It would have been a lot cheaper.  The theater here only picked up the 3D version, and they add $3.00 for the glasses, even if you bring your own.  But at least we didn't have to drive into Texas.

 

I am glad we watched a few of the reruns on TV before we went to the movie.  It helped me remember just how silly the show really was.  In fact as we watched one of them I was thinking how much they reminded me of the old Batman TV series, with all of its Bops and Pows and Bams and with Batman and Robin in the tights and capes.  In Kel's words, very campy.  Anyway, as I was thinking that, the Green Hornet character turned on his TV set, and there were Batman and Robin, climbing up the side of a building.  Cute.  Well, back to the movie revue, we thought it was really funny but it had lots of unnecessary language.  The language had absolutely nothing to do with character development or plot.  They should have kept it like the old TV show and just let it stand on its own merit instead of trying to spice it up. 

 

Now I have to do some confessing.  I remember when I was in junior high going through a phase where I was the Green Hornet.  I had no particular reason for it.  I didn't wear green clothes and a mask and make friends with a karate guy and drive around Galveston in a modified tank car taking out gangs and mystifying the local police.  I don't think I even knew the Green Hornet lore or watched him much on TV.  I was always a Superman guy.  But I remember signing cards as The Green Hornet.  Totally random.  Maybe I'll try that again.  I'll have to choose a different insect, though.  I know.  The Purple Phasmatodea.  Coming soon to a theater near you.

 

Rom 8:38-39 says, "For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."

 

Father, thank you for making me me.  Amen.


No comments: