Sunday, January 30, 2011

January 30 – “Basketball treats”

 

No workout yesterday.  Break time.  Instead we started the day with a trip to a basketball game.  Jachin's.  Always a treat to see 6-year-olds playing smash-ball.  It was a lean day as far as players were concerned.  Each team only had four players each.  That meant they had to play the whole game.  Crises arose several times.  One little guy had a cut on his finger, and he kept walking off the court to show it to his Mom.  One time he even showed it to Christina.  Jachin was tackled one time and he left to be consoled by his Dad, who was coaching because the regular guy didn't show up.  Kel had to call a time out.  The final score was a rousing 12 to 6 I think, but the boys didn't seem to care.  They were more excited about snacks and getting out to the playground.

 

I left after just a few2 minutes on the playground.  I only got to go down the slide once (with Cailyn, of course).  I headed up North into Texas for the CHSA homecoming weekend alumni basketball game.  It was the Christian Home School Athletics basketball team I used to coach.  It was great to see the guys I used to coach running up and down the floor and getting winded.  They had fifteen guys on their team.  They played against the current varsity.  So the old guys traded out whole teams every three minutes.  That gave them six minutes to recuperate before they had to go out again.  Great fun.  I think they were going to have a game between the parents and old coaches after that one, but I politely bowed out after the group photos.  They even asked me to be in one of the pictures, though.  

 

Some friends of ours we knew in Colorado, Randy and Janet, came to Galveston to go on a cruise.  Aftyer some arm twisting they stayed with us last night.  They now live somewhere in Arkansas near Missouri.  They treated us to Casey's seafood last night, and Randy got in some good-natured teasing of Mom.  She loved the attention.  We will take them to the boat today and babysit their car until they get back. 

 

Old home weeks are great.  I even have a high school reunion coming up on April 30th at Mario's on 61st street.  Hope some more folks come this year.

 

Psalms 25:6-7 says, "Remember, O Lord, your great mercy and love, for they are from of old.  Remember not the sins of my youth and my rebellious ways; according to your love remember me, for you are good, O Lord."

 

Father, thanks for the chance to remember with Randy and Janet and with the basketball guys.  Help me remember your mercy and love too.  Amen.


No comments: