Tuesday, January 4, 2011

January 4 – “Encouragement”

 

I got a great word of encouragement at church Sunday.  A friend who moved away several years ago came back to visit and to show off her new little baby.  We reminisced and caught up just as you might expect.  Then she said something to me along the lines of: "You have had an impact on some lives."  She didn't go into any detail, and she probably had no idea how important it might be, but it sure jumped out at me at the time.   I guess it was something I need to hear at least every now and then.

 

Being a pastor here in Galveston is a lot like being on a mission field somewhere, except I get to see my family all the time.  In a resort area, there are just not that many core people.  That's not a totally bad thing.  It means that we get to see a lot of adults come to Jesus.  There are not a lot of people hopping from one church to another because they get disgruntled or because they want more of their own personal needs met.  I think that may be the hardest thing for people to understand who do come here from "established" churches.  The same "rules" just don't apply, especially if we are going to touch the people where they are.  The other thing that's hard to communicate to people is that for me and Chris, Seaside is more than just where we go to church.  It is our life.  And it has been for over fifteen years now.  I would say we are quite invested in it.

 

I feel like we have had to start over at Seaside at least 4 times.  Some have been very obvious, like after Hurricane Ike, when everyone had to start over.  Other times have been more subtle, like when yet another key leader was transferred or moved away from the Island for whatever reason.

 

It was OK when there were some powerful encouragers around every Sunday.  Seems like that always changes, though.  I miss John and Katie and Ken and Keith and Steve.  And now most recently Lanny.  But as usually happens, God has sent us some new possibilities to step into that encourager role – Tom, Mikey, Nancy, Ned, Mildred, Lavon.

 

So, I take a deep breath, say another prayer, read the last page of the Bible again, and what else can I do but smile?  God is, after all, God.

 

John 21:16 says, "Again Jesus said, 'Simon son of John, do you truly love me?'

He answered, 'Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.'

Jesus said, 'Take care of my sheep.'"

 

Father, thank you for the sheep you have called out here.  Protect them.  Amen.

 

 


No comments: