Friday, August 27, 2010

August 27 – “Huh?”

Now there were some days that must be remembered by the Queen and her court as good times, though they were admittedly few.  One such occasion was the first time for gathering of the followers of the Great One Who Rules Even Queens.  The aged assembly center by the Seaside was battered and not yet usable.  Yet the faithful ones began to appear anyway.   Only a few at first.  Then two more.  And one.  And another.  Slowly they arrived, each looking weary and distraught.  Each yearning for companionship.  Each desperate for some vestige of hope. 

 

And their eyes met.  And recognition turned to relief.  And tears began to flow.  And brief hugs of greeting became extended grasping for reality.  Friends held tightly to one another, clutching, refusing to let go lest more days rush in to separate them once again. 

 

And then came …

 

I remember a time when one of my biggest concerns was scheduling my time so that I could spend time with my family.  Most recently I tried to do that on Fridays.  Most recently.  That was sometime a little over two years ago.  There hasn't been much free time here in Galveston for awhile.  Certainly not around our house.  Oh, we are back in and the house is great.  But there is so much left to do.  And of course something new pops up every day.  Not to mention everything going on with the church and the school.

 

Chris mentioned something in a text the other day about a vacation "when all this with Mom is over."  We took a vacation on our 25th wedding anniversary.  The boys surprised us by setting up the whole thing.  Went to Maine to fulfill one of Chris' dreams.  Oh.  The dream?  It was … to go to Maine.  We stayed in a bed and breakfast and drove around looking at light houses.  We ate lobster and clam chowder.  Just the two of us.  It was nice.  That was ten years ago, I think.

 

I took Mom with me on some errands I had to do off the island today.  That is still a big deal here, leaving the Island to drive into Texas.  She was excited about going, though.  Doesn't really matter to her where, just so it involves "go."  I think she needs to have her hearing aids checked again.  It's only been a few weeks, but I always have to say things twice to her.  So I plan for it.  I say it, then  pause for a three count to let her say, "Huh?" or something along those lines.  Then I say it again.  I have experimented on that repeat with saying it louder, softer and the same.  She pretty much always hears the second time, whether I turn up the volume or not.  I think she just has to have time to focus, to tune out all the background noise and concentrate on one thing at a time.  How do I have such a wealth of insight into my Mom's hearing difficulties?  Well, mainly because that's what I find myself having to do all the time.  Huh?

Isaiah 28:23 says, "Listen and hear my voice; pay attention and hear what I say."

 

Father, help my family to be patient with Mom and me.  And help me to hear you when you speak.  Amen.


No comments: