Saturday, August 14, 2010

August 14 – “Lock – in”

 

The time for waiting was past.  The time for return was upon them.  And now, as well, was the time for farewells.  And gratefulness to all who aided the poor band of displaced wanderers.  For throughout their extended stay, the Queen and her family had been doted upon by the comrades of her son, who had cared for them with deliveries of mass quantities of fruit and indeed entire meals.  Not to mention the play areas designed just for the young ones.  They appeared instantaneously and disappeared almost as quickly.  "Driven by the wind," they explained, and assured us that no witchery was involved, only obedience to the Great Master and love for the Queen and her family.

 

But the graciousness had not concluded.  The assistance had only just begun.  As the wagons were being prepared for the long journey of return, another pulled into place near the son's castle.  And such a wagon, of shiny blue and filled already with supplies of every ilk – not so much for a trip, but necessities for life in the devastated areas once called home.  "Nay!  Not 'once called'," insisted the Queen.  "Instead understand that the castle remains our home as long as we are on Great Island.  It may not look as it did before, but we must remember how it once was so that we may work toward making it what it will become."  Ah.  Such wisdom.  A powerful thought for a life as well as a castle, don't you think?

 

And so they departed, sadly leaving behind their beloved pets and the Queen Mother, herself, under the protection and care of those who had already so encompassed us with their love.  The road seemed longer than it truly was, for time and time again they struggled to create in their thoughts some image, some idea of what to expect.  And time and time again, the image escaped them, for there was no connection, no frame of reference, nothing that could compare with what they would find.

 

That'll take some revisiting.  I'll get to it.

 

Cailyn stayed over for a lock-in last night.  I used to call it a sleep-over, but so far she hasn't done all that much sleeping when she is over.  So I decided to stop expecting it.  She fell asleep on the floor next to me around 8:30 or so.  The Astros were still playing.  And winning.  After the game I picked her up and gently placed her in her bed.  Mom wanted to leave on every light in the house, but a quick text to Dad stopped that idea.  And so she slept.  But any who thought she was down for the night were gravely mistaken.  This was but the nap before the storm.

 

 

And the storm hit around midnight.  She cried out, confused and disoriented.  And how could I not go to her?  She was away from home.  Nothing looked familiar.  And when I arrived she held on tight.  I tried to return her to the bed, but she would only accept that end if I came with the deal.  She patted the bed and said, "Night.  Night."  So.  You try to resist such unfair temptation.  What grandparent would want to? 

I took her into our master bedroom and sat her on the bed.  And thus began the lock-in.  She talked and bounced and laughed and patted and even lay down a time or two.  She fell asleep around 4:15 or so.  And so did I.  Around 5:00 I was awakened by a thunderous thud from her side of the bed.  Sure enough, she slid off the bed.  I scooped her up and hugged her close, but she didn't cry long.  I eased out of the bed after staying awake watching her for an hour and a half.  And there she stayed until around 8:30, when she bopped into the office with a grin and a deep-throated chuckle that said, "OK.  The world may begin now.  I'm here."  She attacked life as she always does and lived it to the fullest until Mommy and Daddy arrived to pick her up. 

 

Thus endeth the lock-in.  Now I plan to read some.  Take a nap.  Maybe check out FaceBook.  Take a nap.  Go over the teaching for tomorrow.  Take a naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

 

Want to know the life verse for those who truly enjoy lock-ins (The real kind.  With teenagers and activities and grumpy sponsors)?  It's Psalms 132:4 – "I will allow no sleep to my eyes, no slumber to my eyelids."

 

But  Jeremiah 31:26 says, "At this I awoke and looked around. My sleep had been pleasant to me."

 

Father, thank you for the precious time with Cailyn last night.  And with Zak and Caleb.  And yesterday with Jachin and Micah and Josiah.  Certainly my sleep – and lack of it – has been pleasant to me because of the blessings you have given me in those dear children.  Amen.


No comments: