Friday, May 7, 2010

May 7 – “Look, I’m Moses”

 

We bought some grass today.  Real grass.  St. Augustine (I guess that makes it holy, too).  For our yard.  We went by Tom's Thumb Nursery (catchy name, isn't it?).  Chris had several specific plants in mind for our back yard project.  Most of them I can't even pronounce.  I did remember one, though.  It was the only one we couldn't find.  And she wanted two of them.  Plumbago.  Now that's a great name.  Kind of rolls off your tongue.  Plumbago.  Sounds like some kind of back injury.

 

When we checked out, we asked about ordering some grass.  Chris had called the other day and the lady said she makes her orders on Mondays.  So we figured we would put in the order and have it delivered next week.  Surprise.  She said it would be in tomorrow morning, and they could deliver it right to our house. 

 

That was quite unexpected.  We had planned to have at least the rest of this week to slowly chop up hard clay dirt in back yard and part of the front.  Now we had to get it done tonight.  And that with Jachin and Micah coming over to visit.  Their Mom and Dad were going to see Iron Man 2.  It worked out fine.  I used our biblical tiller.  The hoe got some big chunks knocked out.  Then Jachin came over with a small spade and asked if he could help.  I showed him the big chunks and said we had to get it all chopped up into dirt.  That's when he got creative.  The spade worked fine for a minute or two.  Then he stepped on some.  Then I heard him say, "Hey. DadDad, look at me.  I'm Moses."  Moses.  Interesting.  I turned around, and he was throwing the dirt clods down onto some bricks and they were breaking into little pieces.  "See, DadDad.  I'm Moses breaking the Ten Commandments."   Now that's making Scripture come alive.

 

I finally finished the back yard.  But not before jamming the same thumb that I hurt earlier in the week.  Now I don't know which hurts worse, the injury or the joint right there.  That felt like a knife stabbing me.

 

As I was finishing up we noticed someone lurking around the abandoned house next door.  Come to find out she was a realtor who had been enlisted by the bank that now owns the house to figure out a value for it or determine if it needs to be torn down.  She was taking lots of pictures.  Chris told her to go inside at her own risk.  She almost backed out, but she finally made a quick walk-through.  She basically decided that it should be torn down, but she thought it would be foolish to build, since a replacement house would have to be on five foot high stilts.  "That just doesn't fit the neighborhood."  We told her that if the price was low enough we might be interested in making it a backyard extension.  She jumped all over that one.  Asked for my email address and gave me her card.  Something positive seems to be afoot for the first time in almost two years.

 

Romans 8:18 says, "I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us."

 

Father, work something out with this house next door very soon.  Before the snakes and rats show up.  Amen.


No comments: