Monday, May 31, 2010

May 31 – “The Project”

 

After I worked on the sermon all morning, I was really feeling exhausted.  First, I did something I probably shouldn't have.   Then I did something that I should have started with. 

 

The first thing was to look up rheumatoid arthritis on the computer again.  I have never really read through all the options for information on Web MD.  So I did.  And it was depressing.  Sounds like the "hope" for this stuff is to catch it early and "arrest the development."  You can go into "remission" for random periods of time, then it can return for random periods.  I did find the answer to my specific question, though.  The lack of energy is definitely a symptom. 

 

After lunch I had to choose between two options.  Take a nap.  Or attempt one of the projects in the garage.  I chose the project.  The number one thing on the list is trying to get more stuff up in the attic so we can have more room in the garage itself.  But after Nathan helped cut the wood for the windows, he suggested that we finish decking the entire attic.  I really like that idea.  I have always wanted to have an attic that I could walk around in.  The roof isn't tall enough to do that here, but it would sure make it easier to crawl around if the whole floor was, well, a floor.  But that was not something I felt capable of accomplishing without help.  So I turned to the pile of other projects.

 

The one I chose was the stool that I use to sit on when I teach at church.  Several of the wooden pegs were broken, so the legs were very wobbly.  I had a dowel in the cabinet, so that looked like the best place to start.  Taking it apart was easy.  Only two of the existing pegs were still in place, so it was being held together by a few screws.  And to think I trusted that thing to hold me up week after week. 

 

Cutting the new pegs was no problem, but I had to dig through the salvaged drill bits bucket to find one the right size for the holes I needed to drill.  Unexpectedly, the perfect size bit fell out.  I set to work drilling holes and trimming pegs and gluing and re-screwing.  Three sides fit together perfectly.  And then I picked up the final leg.  And I realized that I had installed the crossbar backwards.  It didn't match the rest.  That meant breaking off the new peg, cutting another one, and re-drilling the two holes.  It finally fit together, so I left it to dry.

 

Chris was ready to leave for Bay City.  We made a quick trip to Randall's to get some gas and pick up a prescription for Mom.  But the time for departure finally came.  It has been nice having her here for almost a whole week.  Her Mom has two appointments tomorrow, cancer and heart docs.  The plan is for Chris to come home tomorrow afternoon, and we leave for Mansfield on Wednesday.  Does it count as a 35th wedding anniversary trip if you get to go see your grandkids?  Actually the plan is to not make a plan until we find out what the two doctors say.  So we'll see.

 

Song of Solomon 2:12 says, "Flowers appear on the earth; the season of singing has come, the cooing of doves is heard in our land."

 

Father, thank you for the growth all around us: grass, the pecan tree, the flowers Chris planted and those that "just  showed up" after Ike.  Amen.


No comments: