Tuesday, May 18, 2010

May 18 – “Haircut bonus”

 

I did my assigned chore this morning.  I started at 6:30 and finished around 10:30 or so.  The last thing Chris did before she left for her journey to Bay City, then Houston, then Bay City, then Lubbock, then Bay City, then Galveston (Whew.  I'm already tired), was to write me a note and leave it on the computer.  "Water the grass."  Then she added, "Tuesday, Friday, and Monday."  I was barely thinking into Tuesday.  I don't know where the Friday and Monday came in.  But I did it.  I set up the sprinkler in three different areas in the front yard, and four different places in the back.  I remembered to add the washer for the hose in the front and take it out in the back.  Thirty minutes at each site.  Whatever happened to standing there with the hose and pointing it in the right direction until the ground got wet?  I have to admit, the grass is not dead yet, so she is doing something right.  I just don't want it all to die while I'm in charge.

 

I had to go to the bank today, too.  Made a deposit.  Then to Randalls for gas in the truck and to pick up some prescriptions.  And then I went for a haircut.  It was the same place I always go to.  Even the same person who usually gets stuck with me.  But today was a different experience.  They started offering some kind of special where for a few dollars extra you can get a haircut and shampoo (that's the usual), plus some special conditioner goo and a head massage.  A bonus.  I didn't much care about the goo, but the head massage got my attention.  Having someone with fingernails do a shampoo was great.  Having her keep going and end up massaging my neck was amazing.  She said they started it as a one week offer, but the guys who came in liked it so much it is now a regular option.  Since I get an old guy discount already, I really didn't spend much more than I regularly would have.  I didn't get a Mohawk or shave my head bald or anything, but it's pretty short.  All I cared about was hair not blocking the entrance to my hearing aids and setting off that screeching.

 

I also had to get us a new microwave.  The old one comes on for six seconds, then shuts itself off and begins to smell like it s burning internally.  I asked Chris about it, and her only comment was that she wanted it to be black, with very few bells and whistles.  She was distracted.

 

Speaking of Chris, she called today to let me know they were admitting her Mom to St. Luke's hospital in Houston.  She was in congestive heart failure again, so they are giving her IV medication to try to dry it up.  She has to stay at least through tonight.  And it sounds like the Lubbock trip may be in jeopardy.  At least for another few days.  Perhaps forever.  Now Chris will probably have to drive back to Bay City and pack a bag for her Mom, then take it back to Houston tomorrow. 

 

    

Titus 2:11-14 says, "For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. 12 It teaches us to say 'No' to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, 13 while we wait for the blessed hope — the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all wickedness and to purify for himself a people that are his very own, eager to do what is good."

 

Father, watch over Chris and her Mom and Dad.  Amen.


No comments: