Saturday, May 1, 2010

May 1 – “Ain’t computers grand?”

Great way to start a Saturday morning.  Computer woes.  Our laptop is back to decreasing battery strength even while connected to the desktop docking station.  And this time I made sure that it is "On."  Then I tried to check my email again.  Had some trouble yesterday with that one.  And I couldn't connect to the internet.  So I unhooked the laptop from the docking station and wired the cable directly into the laptop.  It still didn't work, but it kindly offered to run the fix program, so I said "Sure."  It fixed itself.  As the tiny little repairman who lives inside the laptop chuckled to himself, I put it back onto the docking station and tried the internet again.  It went right to it.  And not only that, it also started increasing battery strength.  I'm sure the tiny repair guy wants a bonus for that one.  Ain't computers grand?

 

Today was day one of my return to steroids.  I'm glad it wasn't one of those super doses, though.  I enjoy sleeping every now and then.  I also have to choke down three of those other pills twice a day now.  So I decided it was time to celebrate.  We made today a day of work.

 

We started off by cleaning the church.  We also had to take four bottles of water that had been delivered here.  Those things are heavy.  But we backed the truck up close so we wouldn't have to carry them far on either end.  Chris is amazingly strong for such a sweet little thing.  It really didn't take too long to get everything cleaned up this time.  It was the next round of projects that had me concerned.

 

After a quick lunch we went to Home Depot.  We are trying to find another one of those small sheds to put in the back yard.  We now have a lot of "farm implements" to store, and right now there is very little room in our garage.  We have the shovels, rakes, brooms (and various other tools that I don't even know the purpose of) from our old house, Mom's house, and the abandoned house next door.  There are also buckets of all shapes and sizes, not to mention the gardening tools and planters and pots that Chris wants to use to give poor little green things a home.

 

We found one of the sheds, but it didn't have a price marked on it.  We checked the stock number with the price taped to the wall, and they didn't match.  So we decided to ask for help.  Hear that?  I asked for help.  And I'm a guy.  Of course the problem began when I asked another guy for help.  He walked with me all the way over to the aisle where it was located.  He couldn't walk too fast or his pants would have fallen down.  It fact they appeared to be on their way down already.  I wondered what would happen if there was a fire.  Could he run like that?  Anyway, he did the same thing I had already done, and ended up asking one of the ladies.  And of course she knew just what to do.  The price came up $299.  That seemed a little steep.  So we left.  Chris wanted to try WalMart. 

 

WalMart didn't have anything even close.  So we returned home and hit the back yard.  I threw away some of the tools that were broken or rusted shut.  And then we started pulling weeds.  It was pretty hot.  Pretty tired and sore I got.  But at least fall asleep I did not.

 

Hebrews 12:2-3 says, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. 3 Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart."

 

Father, my weary is a different kind.  Help me not lose heart because of pain.  Amen.


No comments: