Saturday, May 29, 2010

May 29 – “Grill Day”

 

Today was our family grill day.  Nathan has to work on Memorial Day, so we decided to do our welcome to the summer chicken and sausage cookout today.  Nathan is actually working the firemen's fill the boot thing for muscular dystrophy, but he still came over for lunch.  Then April had to leave early for an event of significant proportions.  I think it was a bachelorette party for a friend.  Kel and Christina and their boys came, too, so it was as close to a family reunion as we can get with Josh and Christi living up North.

 

I did get to use our new barbecue pit.  One side is for cooking with charcoal.  The other is for propane.  The best of both worlds.  The propane is a lot quicker and cleaner, but there is just something about the taste of a charcoal grilled … well, anything.  I thought it would take a lot longer to set up and do the initial burn recommended by the instructions.  And yes, I did read the instructions.  Thankfully, though, the guys at Academy had already put it together when we bought it.  I only had to tighten one wing nut, hang the grease drip cups, and turn around one piece that was installed backwards.  It was the one that holds the propane tank steady.  I thought that would be helpful.  Then I had to put in some charcoal and fire up the gas so the "manufacturer smells" could burn off.  And the instructions really said that … "manufacturer smells."  It took awhile, but all was done and ready by 9:45.  Too early to begin cooking according to Chris.  She wanted the chicken to marinade a little while longer. 

 

I finally got started around 10:15.  Everything was ready by 11:30 or 11:45.  Great reviews about the new pit.  And the chicken.  I guess it's a keeper.  It was great to have our kids and grandkids together and watch the little guys interact.  I just wish Josh and Christi could have been here, too, with Zak and Caleb.  Maybe we'll just have to go up there next week.  Of course we won't have Cailyn and Jachin and Micah and Josiah with us.  I guess I'll have to act like a kid.  Wonder of I remember how?

 

Proverbs 26:21 says, "As charcoal to embers and as wood to fire, so is a quarrelsome man for kindling strife."

 

Father, after seeing the charcoal smolder today, I have to ask, please keep me from being quarrelsome.  Amen.


No comments: