Sunday, March 21, 2010

March 21 – “You are the man”

 

Nathan and April were at church today.  Chris was excited because that meant Cailyn would be in church.  And of course that meant that she got to keep her in the nursery.  I was excited because the teaching today was on Nathan's favorite passage of scripture.  It was out of 2 Samuel when Nathan the prophet says to King David, "You are the man!"  He has loved that verse since he first heard it in family worship years ago.  I think it had something to do with him being the youngest child.  He could really relate when his namesake got to point his finger at the big cheese and call him out. 

 

God is doing some very interesting things around Seaside.  Today one guy talked to me about wanting to get involved in a local church so he could in turn be involved with the Gideons.  He works in marketing and is even running for a political office in Jamaica Breach.  He wanted to get together and talk about what my vision for Seaside is.  I think he wants us to grow like crazy, and he seemed willing to market like crazy to see it happen. 

 

Someone else took me aside and talked about Seaside as a family.  She really understood a lot of the ins and outs of what pastors go through.  She was interested in how I felt about several things, but she said her calling was to be an encourager.  She wanted to do what she could to get more of the organizational stuff off my plate so I can concentrate on being a pastor and being involved in people's lives.

 

I even talked to a possible teacher for next year.  She is certified to teach 1st – 8th grade.  Just what we need.  She is very creative.  Also what we need with the way we are set up.  We really need to get our salary up closer to $19,000, though.  That's what they pay at Galveston Catholic School.

 

There are two things happening this week with great possibilities.  One is the study of Christianity we're doing at home group.  It's designed for people who aren't even Christians to show up, so I've been encouraging our folks to invite friends.  We'll see.  The second one is the Palm Sunday Prayer Weekend.  We're having a Kickoff prayer service Friday at seven.  Then we have a 12 hour prayer vigil.  Then at nine Saturday morning we're doing a prayer walk.  Then we're going over to a benefit for the family of the young man who died a few weeks ago.  Then Sunday morning we'll do a service of Prayer and Praise, with palm crosses somehow involved.  Big week.  Lots of prep time.

 

Micah 7:7 says, "But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me."

 

Father, I am waiting on you.  It feels like something is about to happen.  Amen.


No comments: