Thursday, March 11, 2010

March 11 – “A Belligerent Patient and the Hugging Squeal”

 

This morning I went to the hospital to see Eddie, one of the men in the church who went in last night with chest pains.  They ruled out heart attack and stroke, but he has had high blood pressure for a long time that has never been treated.  Today he was still dizzy and nauseated, and they were trying to get everything under control. 

 

On my way to his room I got into the elevator with one lady who had some kind of carry-out food, and three "white-coats."  One of them said "Physician's Assistant,"  one said UTMB (he appeared to be a student), and the other was obviously a doctor, albeit a young one.  The other two Floor 3.  The other lady and myself were both headed to Floor 5. 

 

As the door opened on 3, the two younger white-coats walked out.  But before the doc could get out, an arm shot from around the corner and blocked his passage.  It was a nurse saying, "Don't come out of there.  Don't come out.  We have  a belligerent patient."  Almost immediately after that, a group of security guards and orderlies walked be with a patient in their midst.  He seemed fine.  Totally under control.  How was he classified as belligerent?

 

About then the blockade nurse turned around and saw the doctor whose progress she was obstructing.  She pointed at him and said, "It's one of yours."  Our final elevator white-coat shook his head sadly and made his exit.  As the door closed I looked over at my co-passenger and said, "Let's not get out on that floor."  She heartily agreed.

 

When I was leaving I had another brief encounter on the elevator.  The lady with me said something about hearing a high pitched whine.  I actually heard it, too.  In one ear.  One of my hearing aid batteries died while I was talking to Eddie.  I told the lady about my one-ear-ness and my hearing aid.  She got excited to talk to someone who had the same malady she did.  She asked me a question I don't think I have ever heard.  "When your wife hugs you, do you get that squealing?"  Yes.  Someone else who understands the Hugging Squeal.  I told her my grandkids love to put their hands near my head and listen for my "bionic ears." 

 

Mark 9:15 says, "As soon as all the people saw Jesus, they were overwhelmed with wonder and ran to greet him."

 

Father, I want Seaside to be filled with wonder at what you can do.  Amen.


No comments: