Thursday, September 20, 2018

September 20 – “Another fire snuffed out”


Yesterday I waded through a huge pile of stuff that has accumulated on my desk over the past few weeks.  Amazing how something at the time seems so important, so significant to my life and times, and then, a mere few weeks later, it is revealed for what it really is … a huge pile of stuff with little or no significance at all.  Needless to say, I tossed a bunch of it.  I did file some of it appropriately.  Chris even got excited about what I was doing.  She came through like a whirlwind, dusting and re-arranging.  It definitely looks better than it did.  Now if I can get the handle on the file cabinet replaced with two cabinet knobs, I’ll be all set. 

But as I was working on the handle, a fire call came through.  I quickly changed into my uniform and hurried over to the site.  Well, as quickly as one can when you catch every single red light and it is still school zone time.  The crews were still all in place, though.  The fire was long extinguished.  That happened swiftly, of course.  One crew cleared the apartment building to make sure no one else was inside.  Hoses were hooked up to the nearest fire hydrant.  Water was poured on the blaze.  Safety officer kept close tabs on those entering and exiting the fire scene.  Command called for city utilities to cut off the electricity and gas to the building.  Another crew worked hand in hand with the EMS unit to assist the resident who had been inside the apartment with oxygen and with just calming down.  Still others were helping with traffic and crowd control.  Fire marshalls were hard at work searching for the fire’s origin and noting safety concerns.  And all that … in 90 plus degrees of heat.  What can I say?  Once again, I am proud of my guys in Galveston Fire Department. 

Psalms 100:4-5 says, “Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.  For the Lord is good and his love endures forever; his faithfulness continues through all generations.”

Father, once again I ask you to protect the fire guys.  Thank you for the adrenaline that keeps them going in the heat.  But would you constantly remind them to grab some water every chance they get?  Amen.

No comments: