Sunday, September 2, 2018

September 2 – “R.I.P. Daisy and Donald”


Our friends Lauren and Ed from church brought over a real treat for us the other day.  Duck eggs from his pet duck.  Yep.  Ed is a sucker for injured wildlife, so when the duck wandered their way (They live at the State Park here in Galveston) he scooped it up and began the rehab process.  It now has a happy home with Ed (and Lauren), protected from the park’s predators, well-fed, and producing … duck eggs.  The other day Chris brought me a plate of scrambled eggs.  As she set them down in front of me she said, “Here are Daisy and Donald.  Enjoy your breakfast.”  Ouch.  Take that, Walt Disney.  Now, understand.  She just used two eggs.  Two.  Daisy and Donald.  And they covered the entire plate.  Two duck eggs made an entire meal.  I was amazed.  Thanks for the bounty, Lauren and Ed.  Take care of that young’en.  I’m looking forward to Daffy and Honk and Waddle and …

I made it through three miles on my walk again.  I’m getting there.  Much of our walk-n-talk centered around my pain levels (The dreaded 1-10 scale).  After a few miles I settle in at a comfortable 4 or 5.  That’s after the 5-7 it takes to get started.  It has been tempting to try and get a sooner appointment (right now we are looking at the end of October).  The next level of treatment is that other shot that supposedly coats the tips of the bones with a cartilage substitute sort of substance.  But, I’m not one to waste time and money and effort on untried medical stuff like that (Although I’m not at all averse to it, either, as long as it works).  I say, if a partial or even a full knee replacement will do the job, then I don’t see why we should wait.  I just wonder if my newfound relationship with Medicare would see fit to agree with me on that …

Yesterday afternoon we went to the park at Jamaica Beach for a fundraiser event for TableTalk Ministries.  This group does home repair work for widows and others who can’t do it themselves.  Unique idea for this one.  They had a corn hole tournament.  That’s a game kind of like pitching washers where you try to toss a beanbag (originally filled with corn, I suppose) into a hole cut into a board 20 or so feet away.  I tried it.  I guess with a lot of practice it could get to be fun, but some of those folks out there were pros.  One guy was practicing.  He threw eight bags and seven of them either landed on the board or went into the hole.  Just for fun, I chided him a little about the one that fell off the board.  He started giving me excuses about the bag being too light for competition.  That’s when I knew I would be in way over my head.  So I made the easy transition into spectator-hood.  There seemed to be a pretty good turnout.  They had a bounce house and face painting for the kids (They tried everything to get me to paint my face, but I was sweating so much it wouldn’t have lasted very long).  Two food trucks were on hand to provide nourishment.  In fact when we first got there a tiny little old man (Seriously, he was less than five feet tall and must have been 90 years old) approached me.  Someone had told him I was in charge and he needed to talk to me because he was from the health department (Really?  Do I look that much like “the one in charge.”  Maybe it was the Seaside T-shirt I was wearing).  I corrected his and directed him to the actual coordinator.  I guess she answered all his questions, because we tried something from the trucks a while later.  In fact it was a new one for both of us.  Something called a Cuban Sandwich.  Ham and pulled pork and some kind of cheese and mustard.  All that was really good, but the bread was the best ever.  I would try one of those again any time. 

Oh, they also had a silent auction going on.  I haven’t heard how they did money-wise, but I hope it went well for them.

Psalms 96:10 says, “Say among the nations, ‘The Lord reigns.’  The world is firmly established, it cannot be moved; he will judge the peoples with equity.”

Father, please bless the efforts of this ministry as they touch the lives of folks who really do need help but can’t afford it any other way.  Amen.

No comments: