Monday, September 17, 2018

September 17 – “Some Seaside Moments”


A few pretty interesting occurrences fell into place at Seaside yesterday.  The most exciting of course, involved a young twenty-one year old man named Drake. Drake is the guy who started coming when he found out it would be OK for him to bring his work to church.  See. Drake is a dog-sitter, and the only way he could come would be to bring the pups along.  They always behave quite nicely, carving out a corner of the room near one of the back doors.  During communion time Drake approached me and said he had been thinking about it for a very long time, and he was ready to be baptized.  Seems his Grandma died about a month ago, and, in his words, “She was heavy into the Christianity thing.  And she talked to me about Jesus.  I’m ready.”  I went over salvation with him, and he had a really strong grasp of it.  Along with Grandma’s influence he had also been to church as a youngster and even a school back in St. Louis that “had the words ‘Christian Academy’ in its name.”  The Seasiders were all very excited to welcome him into the family, and now we have a baptism scheduled for next Sunday.

Another encouraging moment for me came just before dinner on the grounds.  A guy who lives in Nashville and has connections in Conroe but just loves the beach, and who has been to Seaside a total of maybe three times (one of which was a sunrise service on the beach), told me he was really sad to have to leave what he felt in his heart was already his home, his church.  He then paused for a moment and asked me honestly how I had felt beginning worship today.  Well, I couldn’t lie.  I started the day having a difficult time getting going after our weekend of being sick in bed in Waco.  By the time we talked after worship I was exhausted.  I told him so.  He let out a long sigh, sat back in his chair, and said, “I want you to know that even though you were in a depressed state physically, God still used you spiritually.  That teaching today was for me.  I’m not sure why everybody else was here.”  We then prayed together.  I’m not sure he understands how encouraging things like that are to a pastor. 

On a lighter note, I managed to pull off a prank before church.  One of the guys who was on the trip with us this past weekend was Mr. Bob.  Bob is a fine Christian layman who has done prison ministry and can introduce himself and Jesus to just about anyone.  Now, remember, he was on the trip, making him more than aware of my little encounter with that nasty stomach bug.  Around 9:35 (services start at 10) I sent him this text: “Hey, Bob.  Think you can handle the sermon today?”  My phone rang mere seconds later.  It was Mr. Bob.  His first words were not “Are you OK?  Are you sick again?”  Instead the words that met my ears were, “Are you serious? Do you really need me to do that?”  I waited a count of two or three seconds before answering, “No.  I’m fine and I’m already at the church.  I was just wondering if you thought you could.”  Let me put the aftermath this way: I think need to verify the cardiac health of the prank-ee before I try something like that again. 

Psalms 99:5 says, “Exalt the Lord our God and worship at his holy mountain, for the Lord our God is holy.”

Father, thank you for Drake and Bobby and of course, Mr. Bob.  Bless them all in their walks with you.  Amen.

No comments: