Thursday, September 13, 2018

September 13 – “Refreshing”


I went to the funeral of the mother of a high school classmate yesterday.  I didn’t know the Mom well.  I did know her Dad a little better, but it just seemed right to go.  I’m glad I did.

I got to give my classmate a comforting hug.  That’s so much better than a FaceBook comment or a heart emoji would have been – for both of us.  I saw a few other old friends a swell, a common experience at funerals, I suppose.

The service was refreshing.  We sang some old hymns like Victory in Jesus.  We also sang Jesus Loves Me.  That was a more than pleasant addition.  I was especially impressed with the guy leading the service.  It’s not often you hear someone who can effectively transform a dry obituary into an excitingly coherent story of a real person’s life and times.  Fascinating.  This 90+ year old was obviously a very special lady in the hearts and minds of a lot of people.

Psalms 98:4-6 says, “Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music;  make music to the Lord with the harp, with the harp and the sound of singing, with trumpets and the blast of the ram's horn — shout for joy before the Lord, the King.”

Father, be with the family that is walking through grief over the next few days and weeks and maybe longer.  Draw them toward yourself so they can feel your love.  Amen.

No comments: