Monday, September 10, 2018

September 10 – “A baptism aftermath”


Here’s the transcript of an email I received the other day.  She asked me to read it to the church, so this is part of that process.

Pastor Kelley and congregants of Seaside Church,

First, I'd like to take a moment to say how wonderful it was to visit your church.  It was so welcoming and inviting that we hardly felt like visitors.  Every aspect of the service we enjoyed from the worship sermon and praise music to the visiting and meeting all of the people.  My son, Benjamin summed up the church in one word.  He said it was "interactive".  I think he is absolutely correct.  I've never, in all of my years, memorized a Bible verse so fast.  My son and I both loved how we were able to participate during the service...after all...isn't that what praising God is all about? 

Secondly, words cannot express our gratitude for allowing Benjamin to be baptized at Seaside.  He came up with the idea because for him, the ocean is God's creation.  He said, "What better way to be closer to God than to be baptized in the bay he created."  It was so meaningful to him. 

Thirdly, I will never be able to put into words what it meant to myself and my son when so many of the members of this church braved the wind and rain to see Benjamin being baptized.  I was so shocked at the level of caring and commitment each of you shared with us.  I didn't think my son would realize the magnitude of seeing most of the church waiting for him back on shore.  But, that is the first thing he said afterward was, "I can't believe all of those people came just to support me."  I explained to him that this was the greatest testimony of Christians and the support they give one another.  None of you had to do this and Pastor, you certainly did not have to do this for someone who was not even a member of your church.  All of your actions showed a young man that the Christian faith is alive and strong....that when you think your fellow Christian brothers and sisters are not there for support....they are...they are standing on the shore, just ask God to bring them closer to you.

In Christ,
Greta and Benjamin Bain

I couldn’t have said it better.  Thanks, Seasiders.  I love you guys.

Ps 98:1 says, “Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things; his right hand and his holy arm have worked salvation for him.”

Father, once again I ask that you be with young Benjamin in his walk with you.  And thank you for his Mom’s encouragement.  Amen.

No comments: