Tuesday, August 8, 2017

August 8 – “Have a seat …”

What a flurry of activity abounded at Seaside Church yesterday afternoon.  It was the day of delivery for the brand new worship center chairs.  Chris and Cailyn and I arrived around one to wait for the call indicating the truck would be there in an hour.  That would give us plenty of time to call out our volunteer force of unloaders. 

As Cailyn played happily for the first time on the new playground equipment (she seemed to really like the tire swing), I took “the call.”  Only what I heard on the other end was not exactly what I expected.  Oh, it was the truck driver all right.  He said, “I just saw that I was supposed to call you an hour before I arrived.  Well, I’m in your area now, and I was wondering if someone could meet me?”  I asked the next obvious question, “So, where are you?”  That would gauge how fast I needed to get on the phone and get my crew in action.  His reply?  “I’m at the Valero.”  Wait, you mean?  Yep.  He had already driven by the church and stopped two blocks away at the Valero station in Jamaica Beach. 

Needless to say, I got on the horn and sent out my appeal.  He drove on over and backed his 18-wheeler into the parking lot.  It didn’t take long before our squad of Seasiders began to arrive.  The driver got out his pallet lifter and moved the three huge pallets of chairs onto the church parking lot.  And then, after taking a look at the sky, reconsidered and moved them under the retreat center building.  And a very wise choice that proved to be.  The bottom dropped out of the sky, and rain began to fall in sheets. 

But did that deter the servant spirit of the Seaside gang?  Not at all.  Jachin and Austin and Jim and Bob and Dianne and Robert dove into removing shrink wrap and unstacking and restacking and dollying into the building.  And inside Chris and Charlette and Amber and Micah and Cailyn and Noa and Christina and baby Ezra all worked to pull off wrapping and check the chairs individually for damage.  Chris and Jim and Charlette even got the chairs set up in an impressive formation, ready for worship on Sunday.  The driver was so impressed that he asked if he could take our crew with him on his next delivery.  Mr. Bob gathered us all together at the end of our task and led us in prayer to keep our focus where it belongs … on the Lord.

So, damage control report.  Six of the pocket holders that we will put on the backs of some of the chairs were missing screws, so a quick call to the vendor took care of that.  I didn’t think they would quabble over 24 tiny screws.  There were only two chairs with any damage.  One was a tiny tear that our ladies assured me they could handle with ease.  The other was a big enough tear that we documented it and made the phone call to the company.  The shipper sent me back to the vendor, and their customer service lady was very helpful.  I sent in a photo of the damage and a picture of the shipping receipt.  I’m supposed to call back today to follow up and make sure the right person received everything she needed.  All in all, I’d say it was a pretty successful day at Seaside.  The chairs look really nice, by the way.  They are redder than we expected (Is “redder” a thing?).  But they are comfortable.  And sturdy.  No more wincing when we watch people sit on certain pews.  I’m looking forward to changing around the format of the seating as well.  Surprise some people on Sunday mornings.  Gotta love it. 

1 Peter 2:12 says “Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day he visits us.”


Father, thank you for providing the resources for us to get this purchase made, and especially for the people who worked so hard to get them set up.  Amen.

No comments: