Thursday, August 10, 2017

August 10 – “Something Specific”

I started my day in an unusual way.  I went with Jim to pick up a car he had bid on and won at a car auction.  I’ve been to an auction in full swing once before in Colorado.  Never saw the aftermath, though.  I must say, the aftermath is much calmer than the chaos of the auction itself.  Jim was pleased with his purchase, though, so all was good.  He drove the “new” home and I followed in his car. 

Chris met us up at the church.  She had to inventory all the Bethlehem Market stuff before her meeting next Sunday.  Jim and I did a little sweeping, and then we played with the arrangement of the new chairs.  We came up with an interesting curved amphitheater look.  We also decided that we really need to scotchgard (I checked.  That's how you spell it) the chairs before they start being used in earnest.  I checked on the Home Depot website.  They have 22 cans in stock at our store.  Guess I’ll be make a Home Depot run today or tomorrow.  We’ll probably need 20 of the cans for all 100 chairs.

Last night I had a meeting with a future bride and groom.  They decided, with a little prompting, to get married on the same night as his mother and dad’s fiftieth wedding anniversary vows renewal.   Since Mom and Dad had already contacted me, they asked if I could possibly do double duty.  As we were finishing up our conversation, a lady walked up who obviously knew the Mom.  She was the wedding photographer they had hired.  Introductions were made all around, and Mom explained that I came highly recommended by everyone at the San Luis.  The photographer’s comment?  “Well you said you wanted something specific.”  OK.  I’ve been called a lot of things, but that was a new one.  “Something Specific.”  Hmm.  Has a nice ring to it.

Before the Astros game started I noticed some movement in the construction zone next door.  It looked suspiciously like someone was inside checking out the new AC duct and plumbing installation.  I’m not exactly sure who it could have been, but I think his initials might have been Nosy Neighbor.  Oh, and they got the roof covered in tar paper, ready for some shingles.  Next?

1 Peter 2:16-17 says, “Live as free men, but do not use your freedom as a cover-up for evil; live as servants of God.  Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.”


Father, thank you for my new handle, “Something Specific.”  That’s how you make each one of us, isn’t it?  Amen.

No comments: