Wednesday, August 16, 2017

August 16 – “The Old Man and the … Baby”

I guess on this day in between birthdays (mine and Chris’) I should back up a bit and relate something that happened Sunday.  We were surprised with a birthday lunch after church.  A group of friends took us over to Nate’s for one of their famous burgers.  There were also presents.  Chris got a sewing machine shaped pin cushion and a gift card to Joann’s.  I got an Astros cup (really nice insulated affair), some big league chew, some peanuts, and some sunflower seeds.  Sensing a pattern here?  They were all the prelude to the tickets to an Astros game I mentioned the other day.  Great meal.  Great gifts.  Even greater friends.

Now back to yesterday.  I have to admit I didn’t have a very good birthday night.  It was that there were grandchildren everywhere I turned.  They were fine.  I woke up with neck pain issues at 3 a.m.  Then I couldn’t get back to sleep at all.  The neck still throbbed and tingled, and the music from Noa’s sound barrier that helps her sleep was all I could focus on.  The same song over and over and over and over.  You would think the boredom itself would be enough to put me to sleep.  Too many more nights like that one and I may be forced to go to the neurologist.

Other than taking selfies with Noa while wearing the goofy birthday big nose, bushy eyebrows, and a moustache glasses, my favorite moment of the sleepover (and the most frightening as well) came when I was invited by Noa to play babies.  That is an activity that has always been kind of out of my league.  I didn’t even know where to begin.  Fortunately, she was considerably more experienced than I.  Here’s a summary of the moment.
Noa: “DadDad, you’re the DadDad.”  OK, I get that we have to establish roles.  No response from me required.
Noa: “And this is our baby.”  Now I’m assuming/hoping that makes her Nani.  Again, no response required.
Noa: “And we also have a pet.”  Well, that came out of nowhere.  Now was my chance to enter into the world she was creating.
Me: “A pet what?”
Noa: (Holding up a stuffed deer we have): “A pet reindeer, silly.”  Of course.  How could I forget?  And what followed was a treatise on reindeer life.
Noa: “They live in the forest with bears and wolves.” 
Me: “Well, that’s scary, isn’t it?”
Noa (Totally serious now, so I have to be very careful with my responses): “Well, you see, Mommy reindeer walk with their babies in the forest.”
Me: “So the Mommy kicks and stomps the bear when she see him?”  Hey, this is the point where I always scored big with our boys.  It usually resulted in development of a huge scenario regarding true life in the wilds and who would win in a fight between a hungry bear and an angry reindeer Mom.  Not so much here.
Noa: (Long, silent incredulous stare while holding the reindeer tightly in her arms)
Me: (Hey, I had to try again to salvage this one): “Oh, so the Mommy protects the babies in the forest?”
Noa: “Oh, DadDad.”
About this point, Cailyn walked in and asked Noa if she wanted to play babies with her.  It took about a heartbeat for Noa to decide.  Good old goofy DadDad was trumped in the playing babies department by Cousin Cailyn.  Phew. 

The day was culminated with a big fish fry that brought back all the available Moms and Dads of the sleepover kids.  Except for April.  She had to work.  We missed you, April.  When you come we usually get to have shrimp as well as fish.  The speckled trout was fabulous, and the Astros played an afternoon game (and won), so the day was a good one in spite of its painful start.  On now to see what happens on Chris’ Birthday Eve. 

1 Peter 3:10-12 says, “For, ‘Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech.  He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it.  For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil.’”


Father, thank you again for all those youngsters.  Can’t say enough about them.  Amen.

No comments: