Sunday, August 13, 2017

August 13 – “A bit of the James Bond”

Well, didn’t we start our Saturday off with a bang?  No, really.  A real bang.  The electricians were next door at 40 Steps around 7 a.m. and hit the ground running with hammers and saws and generators a-blazin’.  It didn’t take Chris long to make an appearance from the bedroom to see who was making all the racket this time.  My favorite construction story of the day came early on this time.  Shortly after Chris disappeared into the kitchen to make some breakfast, I heard it.  Faintly at first, and then much louder.  Much.  One of the guys had begun to sing.  At the top of his lungs.  I didn’t recognize the words because they were all in Spanish, but I was impressed by his passion.  I softly called out to Chris to come hear the concert, but before she could join me at the front door one of his buddies told him to shut up.  Construction sites are awesome.

We decided to split up for our errands.  Chris headed into Texas to Hobby Lobby to get some batting for her latest quilt.  My responsibilities were all in town.  The bank.  The Post Office.  The Dollar Store.  And of course WalMart.  I had a great time people watching.  Except at the Post Office.  I was the only customer there.  The lady at the counter asked me if I locked the door behind me or something.  Certainly an odd occurrence.  Now WalMart on the other hand was packed.  Oddly, however, I saw something I don’t think I have ever seen.  Almost every cash register was manned and operational.  Amazing.  Now, Chris did have a bit of difficulty getting back home.  She was right in the middle of the Saturday, back to school, no tax weekend savings, crazy shoppers.  And once she escaped that?  Construction.  And after that?  Two different wrecks right at the causeway.  I’m not sure how long it finally took her to get home.  She got started right away on the quilt, though. 

I had a beach wedding to officiate last night.  Supposed to start at 7 p.m.  Pretty much close friends and family only.  I think we finally got going close to eight.  One thing kind of startled me while we were waiting for the bride and groom to arrive.  One of the guests looked a whole lot like Chris’ Aunt Hope.  I really did a double take.  Even surreptitiously took a photo of her and sent it to Chris.  Just a bit of the James Bond in me, I guess.  She agreed that the resemblance was uncanny, especially at first glance.  I checked in on the Astros game a time or two as well.  They ended up in a rain delay, so I didn’t really miss all that much.  And the way they played, I wouldn’t have missed all that much anyway.  Interesting way to spend the first hour of a wedding, wasn’t it?

1 Peter 2:24-25 says, “He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed.  For you were like sheep going astray, but now you have returned to the Shepherd and Overseer of your souls.


Father, be with the couple who got married last night.  Give them a healthy and happy start.  Amen.

No comments: