Sunday, August 6, 2017

August 6 – “NOT a Sunday”

After I posted my blog for the day, I happened to see a picture posted by a high school friend who was visiting back here on the Island.  It was taken from his room at the San Luis Hotel.  And it showed an utterly calm beach front.  On a Friday, NOT a Sunday.  It was just too calm to pass up.  I had to go fishing.

After I parked at my usual spot in front of WalMart, I started gathering my pole and bait bucket from the back of the truck.  I heard a cry of well wishes, “Good luck,” from behind me.  As I turned, who should be standing there in front of me but the guy who posted that photo.  I told him he was to blame for my fishing trip that day.  He accepted responsibility gladly, and insisted we take a selfie together.  Then he hurried on his way.  Fun way to renew an old acquaintance.

Now on to the good stuff.  I had a really good day fishing.  Kind of made up for all those calm surf Sundays I missed all summer.  Caught 6 specs (lost one at the net or it would have been 7), a nice keeper red, and 8 or 10 whiting.  Had to toss off a lot of ladyfish, too.  Annoying fish.  Skinny and never more than a foot long, but it thinks it’s a tarpon, leaping from the water. 

As I was reeling in the red, I realized that I was being watched.  Not uncommon.  Sure enough a couple started toward me as I grabbed it to remove the hook.  They wanted to know what kind it was, and even asked if they could take a picture with their waterproof cell phone camera.  At least I hope it was waterproof.  When they realized I had more fish on my stringer, they wanted a photo of it as well.  I finally asked why all the photos.  Their reply?  “So we can post them on FaceBook.”  They were from Oklahoma and weren’t even sure they were standing in the Gulf of Mexico.  So I guess my picture now graces the FaceBook feed of Oklahoma friends everywhere.  They finally got around to asking all the requisite questions.  “Why does the water look like this?”  The Mississippi River.  “Where can we see dolphins?”  Go take a ferry ride.  It’s free.  “Where should we go eat?”  Shrimp- n Stuff, of course.  I finally invited them to Seaside.  She had another question: “Can I wear shorts?”  Absolutely.

40 Steps had a barn raisin’ to get the garage up and done.  There were also plumbers roaming around on the premises.  We found out for sure that the property was one of the scatter site housing properties.  Low income rental for at least 15 years.  Not a good sign for property values.  But that’s a rant for another day.  Or if you prefer not to wait, just ask Chris what she thinks about the whole situation.  She is ready to get involved in politics, so the situation must be quite dire.  That’s all on the philosophical side, though.  Practically (and spiritually) speaking, we will keep on praying for whoever ends up there.

1 Peter 2:9 says, “But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.”


Father, thank you for the fish you created.  It is so good to eat what I catch.  Makes me feel like a provider.  Amen.

No comments: