Friday, July 28, 2017

July 28 – “Reconnects”

Another exhausting day yesterday.  Physically, I mean.  We did our three miles, and while walking we figured that the only window of opportunity for mowing the yard would be right after we got home from the walk. Too bad we didn’t think of it during mile one instead of right before we made our final turn.  We could have stopped early.  I kept my phone in my pocket the whole morning so I could check the steps tracker and see how far I went.  It registered just over 10,000 steps, or four plus miles.  Now Chris is ready to add another mile to our regular walk so we can get to 10,000 on a regular basis.  WooHoo.  Can’t wait.

Here’s a 40 Steps update.  The piling company came yesterday.  They worked all day installing pilings for a raised house, which will be the only one in the neighborhood.  Right now they stick up into the air about even with our roof.  The installer told us, however, that the plan was to cut them all off to a height of around five feet.  That matches up with what we were told after Hurricane Ike.  The flood waters reached right at five feet in our neighborhood, so any new building must be raised to that height.  I’m afraid it will really look silly to be the only house around sticking up like that.  One good thing that we are holding onto, however.  At least the house will block the devastatingly hot West sun. 

I was included in one of those FaceBook private group pages yesterday.  It’s called The Galveston FBC Youth Group.  Some of the folks who were in the youth group at that church way back during the late 60’s and early 70’s are trying to pull together a reunion of sorts sometime next year.  I wasn’t there all that long - just over six months or so – but you might say it was a formative time in my life.  I did become a believer as a result of the ministry there, so there is that.  Made a friend or two as well.  The group administrator asked if I still had contact with the guy who ended up being my college roommate.  I had already put David’s name and FaceBook contact info on the page.  In Then I noticed on the page just before our home group Bible study began last night that a girl who was like a little sister to me posted her name.  I made a note to myself to send Nicky a message when home group ended.  And what do you know … during the Bible study my phone sounded with notice that she had already done the same to connect with me.  Looking forward to hearing from her again soon.

1 Peter 1:14-16 says, “As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.  But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; for it is written: ‘Be holy, because I am holy.’”


Father, thank you for reconnects with old friends.  Amen.

No comments: