Friday, July 21, 2017

July 21 – “Sweets and treats and other necessary medication”

We trudged through our three miles again yesterday.  Although once again I have to say that “trudged” just isn’t the best word.  Yesterday’s walk seemed somehow easier than they have been.  Chris even commented as we moved into the final two turns that it seemed like we had only been going for two miles at the most.  Maybe that means we are finally getting some good out of the whole exercise thing.  Now I do have to add that toward the end of the day my back started barking at me a little bit.  But it was nothing I couldn’t handle.  What choice did I have anyway? 

Cailyn came over to spend a few hours with us.  April had to work and Nathan was doing some training, which meant she wasn’t spending the night.  That didn’t stop her and Nani from making a big batch of cookies for the bake sale on Saturday.  It’s at the Jamaica Beach park from 10-4, by the way.  Part of the big Jamaica Beach Craft Sale.  Seaside was asked to be the food vendor of choice, so we added on a bake sale for dessert.  Come eat with us.  So back to Cailyn.  She rode with me on my errand run.  We went first to the bank, then over to Randall’s.  At Randall’s I was going to pick up a prescription that I haven’t had filled in some time.  And boy did I ever have a sticker shock.  First of all, they filled a full three month’s supply.  Not what I expected.  Second, the price.  Even the guy working in the pharmacy whistled when he looked at it, and asked me if I was aware of the price.  I assured him I had no idea and no frame of reference for a guess, so he started big.  “Well, the actual cost from the drug company is $887 for the three months’ supply.”  Read an audible gasp here.  “But your insurance did cut that cost down a lot.”  Now a cautious sigh.  “The cost to you for the whole three months is $277.”  Return of the gasp, but not as gripping this time.  He finally added, “Of course you can just take it one month at a time.  That would knock it down to $90 dollars or so.”  Cailyn was horrified at talk of such outrageous costs.  I knew I would probably end up getting just a month at a time, but I told the guy I would come back another time and pick it up. 

Cailyn needed a peppermint from Chris’ car stash to get her through recovery after that traumatic experience, so I handed her one and started across the street to pick up my hearing aid.  That’s the one that had the tiny little computer unit split right in half.  What should Cailyn find as we walk in the door?  A bowl of peppermints.  Gotta take advantage of a find like that.  But wait.  On the other side of the room was another bowl.  This one had a collection of chocolate-type candies like Twix and malted milk balls.  Oh my.  The peppermints became second class citizens in the wake of this find.  Meanwhile, when I tried on the new hearing aid, the silly thing squealed like a stuck pig.  It was so loud that Cailyn could hear it across the room.  The receptionist told me to wait right there and immediately went to get the audiologist.  Seems the company had put in all my settings, but they forgot to turn on the feedback modulator.  She hooked me up to her computer and made the appropriate adjustments.  All was well.  And as a bonus, on our way out of the back fitting room, we passed a shelf with cookies, and brownies.  Of course Cailyn was offered a treat, and to be respectful and show her good manners, she graciously accepted a brownie.  I accepted few packages of batteries as my treat.  Oh, I have to tell you what Cailyn said on the way home.  She asked first if she could roll down her window.  Once that was accomplished, after a long second or two, she admitted.  “I just fed the seagulls, DadDad.”  I replied, “So the brownie didn’t taste that good?”  “No,” she agreed, kind of surprised that I had guessed what she had done.  “It was kind of nasty.  But I didn’t really want it anyway.  I only agreed to take it because it looked like no one had taken any of their treats and I didn’t want them to feel bad.”  That’s my girl.

James 5:14-15 says, “Is any one of you sick? He should call the elders of the church to pray over him and anoint him with oil in the name of the Lord.  And the prayer offered in faith will make the sick person well; the Lord will raise him up. If he has sinned, he will be forgiven.”


Father, thank you for sweets and treats and other necessary medication.  Amen.

No comments: